- The following discussion is an archived discussion of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.
The result of the proposal was move. JPG-GR (talk) 20:24, 1 December 2008 (UTC)
William H. Dieterich (senator) → William H. Dieterich
This page was moved from William H. Dieterich to William H. Dieterich (senator) to create the former as a disambiguation page. The only other item for disambiguation was and is a non-existent article about a Wisconsin chief justice. If the judge ever gets an article, the senator should be moved back. In the meantime, there is no need for a dablink. -Rrius (talk) 22:28, 26 November 2008 (UTC)
- Oppose I expanded the redlink for the judge into a stub. --Una Smith (talk) 18:28, 27 November 2008 (UTC)
- Support When there are only two articles sharing the same desired name, generally one should be at the unambiguated page location if it is significantly more likely to be the desired search result. In general, a United States Senator would probably get many more search queries than a State Supreme Court Justice. However, we can wait a few months and watch pageview statistics to get a better feel for this. However, since neither William Dieterich nor Bill Dieterich has any article, I wonder why the initial is being used. One could be at William Dieterich and the other at William H. Dieterich. I do not know if either was known for using a middle initial. I think the best solution is in fact this.--TonyTheTiger (t/c/bio/WP:CHICAGO/WP:LOTM) 02:13, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
- Support as nominator. -Rrius (talk) 00:12, 1 December 2008 (UTC)
- Support as creator of the article which was originally at William H. Dieterich until it moved without discussion. Shsilver (talk) 00:38, 1 December 2008 (UTC)
I don't know about the senator, but on the web I found the judge referred to by his full name, including the initial. Also, that is how he is named in other articles on Wikipedia. I just disambiguated links to William H. Dieterich, and also checked for all instances of "Dieterich" in Wikipedia. --Una Smith (talk) 04:33, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
- The article on the judge has been expanded a little. Let's wait a while and see if these articles can be disambiguated without a disambiguation page. --Una Smith (talk) 04:37, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
- The way to do that would be to move this to William H. Dieterich with a dablink at the top saying, "This is an article about a U.S. Senator from Illinois. For the Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice, see William H. Dieterich (judge)." Would that be acceptable? -Rrius (talk) 02:03, 30 November 2008 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.