Teleport (Staten Island)
The Teleport is a suburban-style 100-acre business park east of New York State Route 440 and west of the Bulls Head neighborhood on Staten Island in New York City. It includes five Class A office and specialized buildings totaling 700,000 square feet, as well as additional development-ready sites.
The Teleport was developed in the mid-1980s by the City of New York and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ), which manages it under contract to the city, focusing on new technologies and offering high-speed voice, data and video services via satellite and fiber optic connectivity.
In 2001 AT&T, the Teleport's biggest tenant, moved 4,000 employees out of two office buildings on the site. They were sold in 2009 to the Nicotra Group, LLC and renamed Corporate Commons, with a major tenant being the St Paul's School of Nursing.
The Nicotra Group was founded in 1976 as a major international fast-food franchise by Lois and Richard Nicotra. The Nicotra Group, LLC has since developed into Staten Island’s premiere real estate development company with properties in Staten Island and Manhattan. As Staten Island’s largest private real estate developer, the award-winning Nicotra Group owns, manages and leases more than one million sq. ft. of prime commercial space and countless acres of impeccably cared for grounds. These properties include seven Class A office buildings, including the Corporate Commons, the 198 room Hilton Garden Inn, the adjacent Nicotra’s Ballroom and Conference Center, Above and Above Rooftop, the popular Lorenzo’s Restaurant, Bar & Cabaret, the social enterprise, quick service eatery the COMMONS café, located in the Corporate Commons, and the 107 room Hampton Inn & Suites – all located within a 415-acre natural wildlife preserve in the Corporate Park of Staten Island.
- "The Teleport". PANYNJ. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- McCain, Mark. "Commercial Property: The Teleport; Moving Ahead Off the Beaten Path in Staten Island", The New York Times, January 3, 1988. Accessed June 3, 2009.
- "A new era for Staten Island's Teleport: City EDC initiative holds promise of jobs and financial growth". Staten Island Advance. July 25, 2013. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- Advance file photo (2008-12-03). "Staten Island hoteliers, developers purchase 2 Teleport buildings". SILive.com. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- Advance photo/Jan Somma-Hammel. "First tenant set for Staten Island's Corporate Commons". SILive.com. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "NYCEDC Seeks Expressions of Interest For Development at the Teleport on Staten Island" (Press release). NYCEDC. July 18, 2013. Retrieved 2014-12-23.