Currentzis in Marxloh, Duisburg, 2015
|Born||February 24, 1972|
Currentzis was born in Athens, and at age 4 began to take piano lessons. At age 7, he began violin lessons. He entered the National Conservatory, Athens at the age of 12, in the violin department. In 1987, aged 15, he began composition studies under Professor George Hadjinikos, and then in 1989 under Professor B. Shreck. From 1994 to 1999, Currentzis studied conducting in the St. Petersburg State Conservatory with Ilya Musin.
From 2004 to 2010, Currentzis served as principal conductor of the Novosibirsk Opera and Ballet Theatre, where in 2004 he founded the Orchestra MusicAeterna and later the Chorus MusicAeterna. Since February 2011, Currentzis has been music director of the Perm Opera and Ballet Theatre, to which he brought both of his MusicAeterna groups.
Currentzis became principal guest conductor of the Southwest German Radio Symphony Orchestra in 2011. In April 2017, the SWR announced the appointment of Currentzis as the first chief conductor of the SWR Symphonieorchester (the successor orchestra to the Southwest German Radio Symphony Orchestra), effective with the 2018-2019 season.
Currentzis has won the National Theatre Award Golden Mask four times:
- 2007: Special Awards of the Musical Theatre Jury for Sergei Prokofiev's Cinderella.
- 2008: Special Award of the Musical Theatre Jury For Impressive Achievements in Musical Authenticity in Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro.
- 2011: Best Director of an Opera for Alban Berg's Wozzeck at the Bolshoi Theater.
- 2012: Best Director of an Opera for Così fan tutte
- 2012: Best Conductor of a ballet for Sergei Prokofiev's Chout
- 2017: Best Conductor of an Opera for "La Traviata"
- 2004/05 – Giuseppe Verdi's Aida directed by Dmitri Tcherniakov.
- 2005/06 – concert performance and CD record of Henry Purcell's Dido and Aeneas.
- 2006/07 – Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro directed by Tatjana Gürbaca.
- 2006/07 – Dmitri Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk directed by Henrich Baranovsky.
- 2007 – Sergei Prokofiev's Cinderella.
- 2008/09 – Giuseppe Verdi's Macbeth directed by Dmitri Tcherniakov in Novosibirsk Opera and Ballet Theatre and Opéra Bastille.
- 2009/10 – Alban Berg's Wozzeck directed by Dmitri Tcherniakov in Bolshoi Theatre.
- 2009/10 – Mozart's Don Giovanni directed by Dmitri Tcherniakov in Bolshoi Theatre and Aix-en-Provence Festival.
- 2010 – Mieczysław Weinberg's The Passenger at the Bregenzer Festspiele directed by David Pountney.
- 2010 – Alexei Siumak's The Requiem in the Moscow Art Theatre.
- 2011 – Mozart's Così fan tutte in the Perm Opera and Ballet Theatre.
- 2012 – Tchaikovsky's Iolanta and Stravinsky's Persephone in the Teatro Real, Madrid.
- 2012 – Verdi's Macbeth in the Bavarian State Opera, Munich.
- 2012 – Sergei Prokofiev's Chout.
- 2013 – Purcell's The Indian Queen in the Perm Opera and Ballet Theatre with coproduction of Teatro Real and English National Opera.
- 2014 – Dmitry Kurlyandsky's Nosferatu in the Perm Opera and Ballet Theatre.
- 2014 – Mozart's Don Giovanni in the Perm Opera and Ballet Theatre.
- 2016 - Giuseppe Verdi's "La Traviata" directed by Robert Wilson in the Perm Opera and Ballet Theatre.
- Purcell: Dido and Aeneas (Alpha, 2008)
- Mozart: Requiem (Alpha, 2011)
- Shostakovich: Symphony No. 14 (Alpha, 2011)
- Shostakovich: Piano Concertos; Sonata for Violin and Piano (Harmonia Mundi, 2012)
- Mozart: Le Nozze di Figaro (Sony Classical, 2014)
- Rameau: The Sound of Light (Sony Classical, 2014)
- Mozart: Così fan tutte (Sony Classical, 2014)
- Stravinsky: Le Sacre du printemps (Sony Classical, 2015)
- Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto, Stravinsky: Les Noces (Sony Classical, 2016)
- Mozart: Don Giovanni (Sony Classical, 2016)
- Artyomov: Symphony Gentle Emanation (Divine Art, 2016)
- Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 (Sony Classical, 2017)
- Mahler: Symphony No. 6 (Sony Classical, 2018)
- "Teodor Currentzis to Head Perm Opera and Ballet Theater". russkiymir.ru. 2010-12-27. Archived from the original on 2011-07-27.
- "Teodor Currentzis wird Chefdirigent des SWR Symphonieorchesters". SWR Classic. 2017-04-05. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- "Foreigners Scoop Awards at Golden Mask Awards" The Moscow Times, 18 April 2011
- Susan Moore (2014-06-20). "Nosferatu, Perm Opera Ballet Theatre, Russia – review". Financial Times. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
| Principal Conductor, Novosibirsk Opera and Ballet Theatre
| Music Director, Perm Opera and Ballet Theatre