|Full name||Théophile Abega Mbida|
|Date of birth||9 July 1954|
|Place of birth||Nkomo, Cameroon|
|Date of death||15 November 2012(aged 58)|
|Place of death||Yaoundé, Cameroon|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Théophile Abega Mbida (9 July 1954 – 15 November 2012), nicknamed Doctor, was a Cameroonian football player and politician. Playing as a midfielder he was part of the Cameroon national football team, playing all three matches at the 1982 FIFA World Cup and captaining the side to their first African Nations Cup victory in 1984, where he scored a goal in the final. He was nicknamed "The Doctor" in tribute to his footballing intelligence.
Abega played club football for Canon Yaoundé where he won the 1978 African Cup of Champions Clubs, 1980 African Cup of Champions Clubs and 1979 African Cup Winners' Cup titles as well as four Cameroonian championships and five Cameroonian Cups. Later in his career, he moved to France to play for Toulouse FC before finishing in Switzerland with Vevey.
Following a collision with Zambian goalkeeper Efford Chabala at the 1986 African Cup of Nations Abega retired from football in 1987. Abega then went into politics, becoming the mayor of the sixth arrondissement of Yaoundé.
- "Condoléances à la suite du décès de Théophile Abéga Mbida (Docteur Abéga)" (in French). cameroonvoice.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Theophile Abega – FIFA competition record
- Wilson, Jonathon (November 27, 2012). "Cameroon's Théophile Abega was so intelligent they called him the doctor". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- Gleeson, Mark (15 November 2012). "Former African Footballer of the Year Abega dies aged 58". Reuters.
- Οι 200 κορυφαίοι Αφρικανοί (in Greek). Sport24.gr. 25 October 2006.
- Théophile Abega at National-Football-Teams.com
- Théophile Abega Mbida at Olympics at Sports-Reference.com (archive)
- Theophile ABEGA MBIDA at the International Olympic Committee
|This biographical article related to Cameroonian football is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|