Mahmoud El Khatib
|Full name||Mahmoud Ibrahim Ibrahim El Khatib|
|Date of birth||30 October 1954|
|Place of birth||Aga City, El Dakahlia, Egypt|
|Height||184 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|President of Al Ahly|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Mahmoud El Khatib (Egyptian Arabic: محمود الخطيب) (born 30 October 1954) popularly nicknamed Bibo, is a former Egyptian football player and the 18th and current President of Al Ahly Sporting Club. He is widely regarded as one of the best players in African football history.
- "Bibo" played for El Ahly (the African club of the century) between 1972–1988 and for the Egyptian National Team between 1974-1986 (scoring 27 goals). He made his debut in the second week of the 1972/73 season of the Egyptian League against Taiaran on 13 October 1972.
- "Bibo" moved to El Ahly in 1972 and spent 16 years with the club before he retired in 1988 due to numerous injuries he suffered over the years, as he was often the target of the opposition's attention, and often fouled. The problem became of such concern to El Ahly managerial staff that prior to one game another player was given Bibo's number 10 jersey to wear.
- "Bibo" Won the Egyptian League title ten times, the Egyptian Cup six times, The African Cup Winner's Cup three times, and the African Champions League twice with his club El Ahly. He was also chosen best player in Egypt five times during his career.
- In 1983, El Khatib won the France Football Award for the best African player.[better source needed]
- El Khatib was selected to be a member of the International Committee for Fair Play after playing 450 domestic and international games without being reprimanded once.
- In 2007 "Bibo" was named the second best African Footballer in the last 50 years by the Confederation of African Football.
- El-Khatib “Bibo” announced his candidacy for the presidency of Al Ahly SC of which its elections took place on November 30th, 2017.
- Bibo won the presidential election of Al Ahly SC on November 30th, 2017 to become the 15th President.
Honours and Achievements
- Al Ahly
- Egyptian Premier League: 1974–75, 1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1980–81, 1981–82, 1984–85, 1985–86, 1986–87
- Egypt Cup: 1978, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985
- African Cup of Champions Clubs: 1982, 1987
- African Cup Winners' Cup: 1985, 1986
- Egyptian Premier League top goalscorer: 1977–78, 1980–81