The Adventures of the Little Prince (TV series)
|The Adventures of the Little Prince|
Poster from the first DVD box of the series depicting the main characters
(Hoshi no Ōjisama Puchi Puransu)
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kôji Yamazaki, Takeyuki Kanda|
|Original network||TV Asahi|
|Original run||July 4, 1978 – March 27, 1979|
|Episodes||39, with 26 in English|
The Adventures of the Little Prince (星の王子さま プチ・プランス Hoshi no Ōjisama Puchi Puransu?) is an anime series based on the book by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Made by the animation studio Knack Productions, the series, originally titled Hoshi no Ōjisama Puchi Puransu (Prince of the Stars: Petit Prince), aired in Japan on the TV Asahi network from July 1978 to March 1979. Dubbed into English, the series premiered in the United States in 1985 on Nickelodeon and was rerun through June 1, 1985 to December 29, 1989. It was also broadcast on TVOntario in 1989, a station that would later pick up the dub of the 2010 French adaptation. Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, of Mobile Suit Gundam fame, was involved in this series as a director.
The series showed the extended adventures of the Little Prince, Swifty The Space Bird, and the Rose Girl. In total there were 26 episodes aired in English, with 39 episodes made for the original Japanese run. (According to The Anime Encyclopedia by Jonathan Clements and Helen McCarthy, only the first 35 episodes were actually aired on Japanese TV; the remaining four episodes remained "lost" until the series was reissued on video.)
- Higher Than Eagles Fly!
- On Wings of Love
- Rob the Rainbow
- A Small Alien
- Somewhere in Space
- Visit to Another Planet
- The Perfect Planet
- The Wolf Pack
- The Star Gazer
- Last Voyage of the Rose
- The Chimney Sweep
- The Greatest Gift
- (14) Too Big for This World!
- (15) The Winning Ride
- (16) To Be a Man
- (17) The Magic Case
- (18) Always Listen to a Fox
- (19) The Dancing Bear
- (20) Hitch Onto Halley's Comet
- (21) A Light in the Storm
- (22) What Makes Mitzi Mean?
- (23) The Wishing Stone
- (24) A Different World
- (25) Erase All Beauty
- (26) Play It Again, Sean!
- (Only released in Japan, no official English titles available)
- (27) Run! Locomotive (hashire! kikansha) 走れ!機関車
- (28) Lullabye-grass of love (ai no rarabai kusa) 愛のララバイ草
- (29) When the aurora shines (orora no kagayaku toki) オーロラの輝くとき
- (30) Adventure of the good ship Dream -first half- (dorimu gō no bōken - zenpen -) ドリーム号の冒険 ―前 編―
- (31) Adventure of the good ship Dream -second half- (dorimu gō no bōken - kōhen -) ドリーム号の冒険 ―後 編―
- (32) I want to go home to my star (hoshi he kaeri tai) 星へ帰りたい
- (33) Fly, comet ship! (tobe ryūsei gō!) 飛べ流星号!
- (34) Village vanished to the lake bottom (kotei ni kie ta mura) 湖底に消えた村
- (35) Bridge of friendship (yūjō no hashi) 友情の橋
- (36) Sculptor of the forest (mori no chōkoku shi) 森の彫刻師
- (37) Hero's hill (yūsha no oka) 勇者の丘
- (38) Violin singing to the heart (kokoro niutau vaiorin) 心にうたうヴァイオリン
- (39) Good night, prince (oyasuminasai ōji sama) おやすみなさい王子さま
- Little Prince: Taiki Matsuno ( Julie Dees, Katie Leigh)
- Swifty: ( Hal Smith)
- Saten: Keiko Yokozawa
- Boss: Kazue Takahashi
- Peter: Kaoru Kurosu
- Old Man: Minoru Yada
- Danya: ( Janet Waldo)
- Narrator: Masaaki Yajima
On September 6, 2005, Koch Vision released a 4-disc DVD of the entire English series in Region 1. Koch Vision has subsequently begun releasing the series in Volumes each containing 3 or 4 episodes each, which sell at a lower cost than the complete series.
|DVD Name||Ep #||Release Date|
|The Complete Animated Series||26||September 6, 2005|
- List of The Little Prince adaptations, a listing of The Little Prince story adapted into various media.
- The Little Prince (1974 film), a 1974 musical film directed by Stanley Donen
- The Little Prince (2015 film), a 2015 computer-animated fantasy film directed by Mark Osborne
- The Little Prince (play), a theatrical adaptation
- The Little Prince (opera), an opera in two acts by Rachel Portman to an English libretto by Nicholas Wright
- The Little Prince and the Aviator, a 1981 musical theatre adaptation
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry category listing of articles
- Collins, Glen. From Kubrick To Saint-Exupery: The Adventures of the Little Prince, The New York Times. April 14, 1985. p.30. Accessed August 4, 2009.
- TVOntario 1989 commercial
- The Encyclopedia of Animated Cartoons, 2nd ed.
- The Anime Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese Animation Since 1917, by Jonathan Clements and Helen McCarthy