The Japanese House
The Japanese House
Bain performing in Los Angeles in December 2016
|Birth name||Amber Bain|
|Born||13 July 1995|
The Japanese House is an English indie pop act from Buckinghamshire consisting of solo artist Amber Bain. She has released four EPs; Pools to Bathe In, Clean, Swim Against the Tide, and Saw You in a Dream, through Dirty Hit. She has also released one full-length LP Good at Falling. Bain contributes vocals and plays guitar, synthesizer and keyboard for her music. Many of her tracks are produced by Bain herself and George Daniel of The 1975.
The name The Japanese House was inspired by a property in Cornwall, England previously owned by Kate Winslet with furnishings reminiscent of traditional Japanese tea houses in which Bain and her family stayed in her childhood. During her week-long stay in the cottage, Bain posed as a boy, calling herself Danny. Her experiences there heavily influenced the use of an anonymous label for her music as opposed to the use of her own name. Amber Bain has worked closely with British band The 1975, and went on her first tour as an opening act for them. Her debut album Good at Falling released on March 1st, 2019.
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|Good at Falling||64|
|Pools to Bathe In||
|Swim Against the Tide||
|Saw You in a Dream||
|2015||"Still"||Pools to Bathe In|
|"Pools to Bathe In"|
|"Letter by the Water"|
|2016||"Face Like Thunder"||Swim Against the Tide|
|"Swim Against the Tide"|
|"Good Side In"|
|2017||"Saw You In a Dream"||Saw You In a Dream|
|"Somebody You Found"|
|2018||"Lilo"||Good at Falling|
|"Follow My Girl"|
|2019||"Maybe You're the Reason"|
|"We Talk All the Time"|
- ""The Japanese House" Biography - iTunes". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "The Japanese House | Dirty Hit". www.dirtyhit.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- Staff, Dummy. "Interview: The Japanese House". www.dummymag.com. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Under The Radar: The Japanese House". 12 August 2016.
- Davies, Hannah J. (12 December 2016). "The Japanese House: 'Coming to terms with what pop actually means'". the Guardian.
- "The Japanese House on Apple Music". Apple Music. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- "Japanese House | full Official Chart history". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- "Swim Against the Tide by The Japanese House". iTunes. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Saw You in a Dream by The Japanese House". iTunes. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "The Japanese House will drop a new track 'Lilo' later this week". Dork Magazine. 25 September 2018. Retrieved 25 September 2018.