Legrand performing in 2009
|Birth name||Victoria Garance Alixe Legrand|
|Born||May 28, 1981|
|Origin||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Associated acts||Beach House|
Legrand was born in Paris, France, and was raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was trained on piano as a child, but says she quit studying at age eighteen. She studied drama at Vassar College. After graduating in 2003, she relocated to Paris to study acting at the International Theatre School of Jacques Lecoq. Becoming "disenchanted with theater school in Paris," she moved back to Philadelphia in 2004.
In 2004, Legrand met Baltimore-native Alex Scally, and they quickly formed a two-piece band. Legrand often mentions how organically they work together, and how, in Scally, she found her "musical soulmate." The two have recorded seven studio albums as Beach House: Beach House (2006), Devotion (2008), Teen Dream (2010), Bloom (2012), Depression Cherry and Thank Your Lucky Stars (2015), and 7 (2018).
Songwriting and influences
Legrand and Scally write music anywhere between eight and 16 hours a day, and strive to create thoughtful music they feel strongly about. Legrand often emphasizes the honesty, thoughtfulness, and authenticity Beach House tries to get across in their music. Legrand laments the references to Beach House as being "wafty, wavy, floaty, dreamy," and insists on the band's loudness and all-encompassing soundscapes they create: "We are a loud band. OK, so it's not abrasive, but it's not soft."
Legrand has said in interviews that she wishes audiences would focus on the craft of their songwriting; She commented, "what you're feeling is the craft, that everything is there with intention," as opposed to the individual sounds that surround "the real meat of it all....There's a lot of great sounds in music, but it's not gonna necessarily make you feel something." She is protective of the identity of the band and cautiously chooses how they expose themselves to their audience.
|"Slow Life"||2009||Grizzly Bear||The Twilight Saga: New Moon (soundtrack)||Featured vocalist|
|"Two Weeks"||Veckatimest||Backing vocalist|
|"Seven Stars"||2011||Air||Le voyage dans la lune||Lyricist, featured vocalist|
- "Beach House brings dream pop to the Paramount and a secret gallery show". Seattle Times. Seattle, Washington. April 29, 2016. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- Zaleski, Annie (April 3, 2009). "Interview: Beach House's Victoria Legrand". Riverfront Times. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- "Beach House: An Alumna's Band Returns to Campus". Vassar College. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- Carew, Anthony. "Beach House - Artist Profile". About. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- Hockey-Smith, Sam. "Beach House: Tidal Pull". The FADER. No. 80 June/July 2012. Andy Cohn. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- Trucks, Rob (July 17, 2008). "Interview: Victoria Legrand of Beach House". Village Voice. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- "Michel Legrand". Fnac (in French). Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- Howe, Brian (March 4, 2008). "Beach House". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Carew, Anthony (February 4, 2017). "An Interview with Alex Scally of Beach House". Thought Co. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- O'Connell, Chris (24 March 2010). "Beach House's Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally are not a couple—so stop asking". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- Koenig, Heather. "Music Review: Beach House - Bloom". WTSR 91.3FM. Archived from the original on December 17, 2014. Retrieved October 9, 2017.
- "Beach House - Beach House | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- Roth, Chloe (27 September 2012). "Beach House's Victoria Legrand Says Justin Bieber's Music Makes Her "Need To Take a Shit"". SF Weekly. Retrieved 23 December 2015.
- Rowe, Sian (19 May 2012). "Beach House and the curse of the big time". The Guardian. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
- Gallagher, Natalie (October 8, 2012). "Beach House's Victoria Legrand on memory, female empowerment, and social media". City Pages. Retrieved December 23, 2015.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Victoria Legrand|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Victoria Legrand.|