The Originals (TV series)
|Created by||Julie Plec|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||75 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Television Distribution|
|Original network||The CW|
|Original release||October 3, 2013 –|
|Related shows||The Vampire Diaries|
The Originals is an American television series that began airing on The CW on October 3, 2013. Created as a spin-off of The Vampire Diaries, the series follows vampire Klaus Mikaelson as he and his family become embroiled in the supernatural politics of New Orleans.
On May 10, 2017, The CW renewed the series for a fifth season.
The Originals is a spin-off from The Vampire Diaries which centers around the Mikaelson siblings, Klaus (Joseph Morgan), Elijah (Daniel Gillies), and Rebekah (Claire Holt). The backdoor pilot, which aired on April 25, 2013, also revealed that the werewolf Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) is pregnant with Klaus's child and would, therefore, join the cast. The show begins with the original siblings returning to the city of New Orleans for the first time since 1919. Having originally built the city, they had been forced to flee from their vengeful father. In their absence, Klaus's protégé, Marcel (Charles Michael Davis), took charge of the city. Klaus resolves that they must take down Marcel and get back the city that once belonged to them. While doing that they must also protect their city from a war brewing between vampires, werewolves and witches. Over time new and old friendships are formed, love is in the air, death surrounds them and most of all they learn more about their own family past. The 2nd season, describes how Klaus's mystical child is going to be born and speaks of the threats that all of the family together must keep away from her. The 3rd season shows the Mikealsons facing a prophecy that speaks of their fall.
Cast and characters
- Joseph Morgan as Niklaus "Klaus" Mikaelson: The self-procaimed King of New Orleans and the Original Hybrid: half-Original Vampire and half-werewolf. As the son of a witch and a werewolf plus being a vampire by magic, Klaus is one of the most ruthless and feared supernatural beings in history but also has a soft spot for his family. He is the father of Hayley's daughter, Hope, and is the adoptive father of Marcel, also his former protégé. Previously on The Vampire Diaries, he was romantically linked to Caroline Forbes. He eventually develops feelings for Cami.
- Daniel Gillies as Elijah Mikaelson: An Original Vampire and Klaus' older maternal half-brother. He is shown to be extremely suave, always sporting a suit, and relatively level-headed compared to Klaus' more heated tendencies. He harbors romantic affections for Hayley.
- Claire Holt as Rebekah Mikaelson (season 1; special guest star season 2–): An Original Vampire and Klaus' younger maternal half-sister. She is Klaus' favorite and the youngest of the Mikaelson siblings after the death of Henrik. At one time, she was in a romantic relationship with Marcel. Despite her unwavering love for her family, she desires to find love and start a family of her own, which is complicated by her family name and vampire status. She eventually leaves New Orleans to pursue a simpler life outside of her family. Holt departs the main cast near the end of season 1, but has guest starred sporadically in every season since. Maisie Richardson-Sellers portrayed Rebekah during the second half of Season 2 and one episode of season 3, when Rebekah possessed witch Eva Sinclair's body.
- Phoebe Tonkin as Hayley Marshall-Kenner: Originally a werewolf, later hybrid, who conceived a daughter with Klaus named Hope. She is initially reluctant to be involved with the Mikaelsons, but is eventually accepted into the family and accepts them in return. She reciprocates Elijah's romantic feelings, but marries Jackson Kenner in order to unite their packs.
- Charles Michael Davis as Marcel Gerard: A vampire, now enhanced Original Vampire, and former slave. He was turned by Klaus, his adoptive father and former mentor. He has a romantic past with both Rebekah and Cami. His relationship with the Mikaelsons is complicated as a result of his history with them as well as philisophical differences. They are often adversarial as Klaus and Marcel contantly struggle for power over New Orleans. He rescues Davina from being sacrificed and takes her under his wing as his adoptive daughter.
- Daniella Pineda as Sophie Deveraux (season 1): A powerful witch of the French Quarter.
- Leah Pipes as Camille O'Connell (seasons 1–3; special guest star season 4): A human therapist for Klaus who he is later affectionate toward, though she is also romantically involved with Marcel.
- Danielle Campbell as Davina Claire (seasons 1–3; guest season 4): A powerful young witch and Marcel's adoptive daughter who becomes Regent of all witch covens in New Orleans. She doesn't much care for the Mikaelsons and seeks to destroy them with Marcel's help, until she unknowingly falls in love with one.
- Yusuf Gatewood as Vincent Griffith (season 2–; guest season 1): A witch once possessed by Finn, the eldest brother among the Mikaelson siblings. He is the ex-husband of Eva Sinclair, the witch Rebekah possessed. He succeeds Davina as Regent of all witch covens in New Orleans.
- Riley Voelkel as Freya Mikaelson (season 3–; recurring season 2): Klaus' long-lost maternal half-sister, Freya is an immensely powerful and skilled thousand-year-old witch, former immortal, and the eldest of the Mikaelson siblings.
|First aired||Last aired|
|Pilot||April 25, 2013|
|1||22||October 3, 2013||May 13, 2014|
|2||22||October 6, 2014||May 11, 2015|
|3||22||October 8, 2015||May 20, 2016|
|4||13||March 17, 2017||June 23, 2017|
|5||13||April 18, 2018||August 1, 2018|
On January 11, 2013, it was announced that a back-door pilot focused on the Originals, starring Joseph Morgan as Klaus and titled The Originals would air sometime in April for a potential series pick-up for the 2013–2014 season. On April 26, 2013, The Originals was confirmed for a full series. This second spin-off attempt will be overseen by Julie Plec, with no involvement by Kevin Williamson. The Originals was officially picked up by The CW on April 26, 2013, for the 2013–14 season. Season one of The Originals was set to premiere on Tuesday, October 15. However, on July 29, 2013, The CW announced that the series premiere would instead air on October 3, 2013, following the fifth season premiere of The Vampire Diaries in order to attract fans of the series. On October 10, 2013, the CW ordered three additional scripts for the series. On November 11, 2013, the CW decided to order a full season for The Originals.
|Season||Timeslot (ET)||Episodes||First aired||Last aired||TV season||Rank||Avg. viewers
|1||Tuesday 8:00 pm||22||October 3, 2013||TBD||May 13, 2014||TBD||2013–14||149||2.61||1.6/4|
|2||Monday 8:00 pm||22||October 6, 2014||TBD||May 11, 2015||TBD||2014–15||172||1.81||0.9/3|
||October 8, 2015||TBD||May 20, 2016||TBD||2015–16||181||1.44||0.6/2|
|4||Friday 8:00 pm||13||March 17, 2017||TBD||TBA||TBD||2016–17||TBD||TBD||TBD|
Awards and nominations
|2014||People's Choice Awards||Favorite New TV Drama||The Originals||Nominated|
|Favorite Actor in a New Series||Joseph Morgan||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|||
|Choice TV Actress Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Claire Holt||Nominated|||
|Emmy Awards||Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series||
|2015||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|||
|2016||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Joseph Morgan||Nominated|||
The Originals: The Awakening
The Originals: The Awakening is a webseries. The series explores the character Kol Mikaelson and his relationships with his siblings. Flashing back to 1914, Kol is on a quest to form an alliance with the witches of the French Quarter. Awakening gives answers to some questions about Kol's past, including the origins of his rivalry with his family and the unique backstory he has with the New Orleans witches. Each webisode is approximately two minutes long.
- Nathaniel Buzolic as Kol Mikaelson
- Keri Lynn Pratt as Mary-Alice Claire
- Aleeah Rogers as Astrid Malchance
|1||The Awakening: Part 1||Carina Adly MacKenzie||Matt Hastings||November 10, 2014|
|2||The Awakening: Part 2||November 17, 2014|
|3||The Awakening: Part 3||November 24, 2014|
|4||The Awakening: Part 4||December 8, 2014|
On January 27, 2015, the first book in a series of novels based on the show was released. The Rise, The Loss, and The Resurrection make up the three novels in The Originals series written by Julie Plec.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 29, 2013). "The CW Moves Up 'The Originals' Premiere to Follow 'The Vampire Diaries' + 'Supernatural' Gets Earlier Start". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 29, 2013.
- Petski, Denise (May 10, 2017). "'The Originals' & 'iZombie' Renewed By The CW". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 10, 2017.
- Swift, Andy (February 7, 2017). "The Originals Season 4 Promo Features [Spoiler]'s Shocking 'Return'". TVLine. Retrieved March 12, 2017.
- "Danielle Campbell Is Returning to The Originals For a Visit". E! Online. April 24, 2017. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 11, 2013). "The CW Orders Backdoor Pilot for 'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff, 'The Originals'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley; Philiana Ng (January 11, 2013). "'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff 'The Originals' in the Works at CW". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 13, 2013.
- Ausiello, Michael (April 26, 2013). "The CW Shows Renewed 2013 — 'Hart of Dixie,' 'Beauty and the Beast'". TVLine. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- Tim Kenneally (June 24, 2013). "The CW sets fall premieres: 'Tomorrow People,' 'The Originals'". Chicago Tribune.
- Gelman, Vlada (October 10, 2013). "The CW Orders Additional Scripts for The Originals, Tomorrow People and Reign". TV Line. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 11, 2013). "CW Gives Full-Season Orders To Freshman Series 'The Originals', 'The Tomorrow People' & 'Reign'". Deadline.com. Retrieved November 11, 2013.
- Matt Webb Mitovich. "Claire Holt Quits 'The Originals' — Rebekah's Last Episode Season 1 - TVLine". TVLine. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "The Originals at PaleyFest: The Cast Talks Elijah's Undoing, Klaroline, Whether Rebekah Will Return, and More". TV.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- "Full 2013-2014 TV Season Series Rankings". Deadline. May 22, 2014.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 21, 2015). "Full 2014-15 TV Season Series Rankings: Football & 'Empire' Ruled". Deadline. Retrieved June 13, 2015.
- de Moraes, Lisa (May 26, 2016). "Full 2015-16 TV Season Series Rankings: 'Blindspot', 'Life In Pieces' & 'Quantico' Lead Newcomers". Deadline. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (August 10, 2014). "Teen Choice Awards: The Complete Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "Emmy Nominations". Emmy Awards. July 10, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Variety Staff (August 16, 2015). "Teen Choice Awards 2015 Winners: Full List". Variety. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- Goodman, Jessica (July 31, 2016). "Teen Choice Awards 2016: See the full list of winners". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "The Originals: The Rise: Julie Plec: 9780373788897: Amazon.com: Books". amazon.com. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Noble, Barnes &. "Originals Series".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Originals (TV series).|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Originals (TV series)|