The Star-Club was a music club in Hamburg, Germany that opened Friday 13 April 1962 and was initially operated by Manfred Weissleder and Horst Fascher. In the 1960s, many of the giants of rock music played at the club. The club closed on 31 December 1969 and the building it occupied was destroyed by a fire in 1987. The address in Hamburg area St. Pauli was: Große Freiheit 39; Große Freiheit is a side street of the Reeperbahn.
The club achieved worldwide renown through the performances of The Beatles, who played there 13 April - 31 May, 1–14 November, and 18–31 December 1962. A performance or parts of several performances from the end of the latter stay was or were recorded on a home tape machine, and a remixed version was released in 1977 as Live! at the Star-Club in Hamburg, Germany; 1962.
The Beatles' first Hamburg Club performance was at the Indra Club (also in Große Freiheit) on 17 August 1960.
Musicians who played at Star-Club
List of musicians who played in the Star-Club:
- American musicians: Ray Charles, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, Everly Brothers, Bill Haley, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny and the Hurricanes, Brenda Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis (who released a highly praised live album recorded at the club in 1964) and Little Richard, who at that point had Billy Preston in his band. The Monks, with Gary Burger, Eddie Shaw, Dave Day, Roger Johnston and Larry Clark played at the Top Ten Club a number of time 1965, 1966, and 1967.
- English musicians (alphabetical): The Beatles, Chicken Shack (featuring Christine McVie (Perfect)), Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, Cream, Lee Curtis and the All-Stars, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, Earth (pre-Black Sabbath), The Graduates, The Jimi Hendrix Experience (US/UK, March 1967), The Jaybirds (featuring Alvin Lee of Ten Years After), Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas (band), The Liverbirds, The Overlanders, The Pretty Things, The Remo Four, The Searchers, Kingsize Taylor and the Dominoes; Richard Thompson, Soft Machine, The Twilights, and Tony Vincent and The Giants, Jane Cane (jazz singer). The Roadrunners - Liverpool's original R & B band of the 60's. Katch 22 - London band formed in 1966.
Terry Slater and The Flintstones
- German musicians: The Rattles (Hamburg) and many more
- Italian musicians: Mino Reitano
In the early 1960s the Clubowners also started a record label, Star-Club Records, subsidiary of Philips Records
- http://www.center-of-beat.com/starclub/bands/starclub_bands.php List of musicians who played in the Star-Club
- Book, Black Monk Time
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Star-Club.|
- http://www.center-of-beat.com/ Information about the Star-Club
- http://www.starclub-hamburg.eu/ Information about the Star-Club
- http://www.merseycats.com/Maja's-Memories-of-the-Star-Club.html Reminisce to the opening of the Star-Club, with an original recording of the Beatles ("A Taste of Honey")
- http://beatles.ncf.ca/starclubtapes.html Eric Krasker, The Star-Club tapes : The set that never existed.