The Woman in the Window (2021 film)
|The Woman in the Window|
|Directed by||Joe Wright|
|Screenplay by||Tracy Letts|
|Based on||The Woman in the Window|
by A. J. Finn
|Music by||Danny Elfman|
|Edited by||Valerio Bonelli|
The Woman in the Window is an upcoming American psychological thriller film directed by Joe Wright, from a screenplay by Tracy Letts, based on the 2018 novel of the same name by pseudonymous author A. J. Finn. The film stars Amy Adams, Gary Oldman, Anthony Mackie, Fred Hechinger, Wyatt Russell, Brian Tyree Henry, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Julianne Moore.
The Woman in the Window is scheduled to be digitally released by Netflix on May 14, 2021. The film was originally scheduled to be released theatrically by 20th Century Fox on October 4, 2019, but was delayed to May 15, 2020, due to re-editing after test screenings. The theatrical release was later canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and it was sold to Netflix.
An agoraphobic psychologist befriends a neighbor across the street from her New York City brownstone condo, only to see her own life turned upside down when the woman disappears and she suspects foul play.
- Amy Adams as Dr. Anna Fox
- Gary Oldman as Alistair Russell
- Anthony Mackie as Edward "Ed" Fox
- Fred Hechinger as Ethan Russell
- Wyatt Russell as David Winters
- Brian Tyree Henry as Det. Little
- Jennifer Jason Leigh as Jane Russell
- Julianne Moore as Katie / "Jane Russell"
- Jeanine Serralles as Det. Norelli
- Mariah Bozeman as Olivia Fox
- Liza Colón-Zayas as Bina
- Tracy Letts as Dr. Landy
In September 2016, Fox 2000 Pictures acquired screen rights to the novel of the same name by A.J. Finn. In March 2018, it was announced Joe Wright would direct the film, from a screenplay by Tracy Letts. Scott Rudin and Eli Bush would serve as producers on the film. In April 2018, Amy Adams joined the cast of the film. In July 2018, Julianne Moore, Wyatt Russell, Gary Oldman and Brian Tyree Henry joined the cast. In August 2018, Fred Hechinger and Anthony Mackie joined the cast of the film.
Principal photography began on August 6, 2018, in New York City. Filming wrapped on October 30, 2018. It was then revealed that producer Scott Rudin had hired Tony Gilroy to do rewrites and write the reshoots, following the film's initial delay from the October 4, 2019 release date.
The Woman in the Window was originally scheduled to be released on October 4, 2019 by 20th Century Fox, but on July 9, 2019, it was delayed, with Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures retooling the film after test screenings, and a new release date of May 15, 2020 was set. On March 17, 2020, the film was removed from the release calendar because of the COVID-19 pandemic, with the intent to reschedule it for later in 2020. On August 3, 2020, it was announced that Netflix was in final talks to acquire the distribution rights to the film from 20th Century Studios. The film is currently scheduled to be released on May 14, 2021.
It will be final film released under the Fox 2000 label; as part of the Walt Disney Company's acquisition of 21st Century Fox, the label will be discontinued after the film's release.
- ABDUL (August 24, 2020). "Woman In The Window: When It Is Heading On Netflix, Every Detail Fans Should Know". The Digital Wise.
- Thompson, Anne (August 28, 2020). "Netflix's Oscar Lineup, from David Fincher and Gary Oldman to the Return of Sophia Loren". IndieWire.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (September 29, 2016). "Fox 2000 Buying Hitchcockian Thriller Novel 'The Woman In The Window'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- Lang, Brent (March 26, 2018). "Joe Wright Directing 'The Woman in the Window' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (April 25, 2018). "Amy Adams In 'The Woman In The Window' For Joe Wright & Fox 2000". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (July 10, 2018). "Julianne Moore in Talks to Join Amy Adams in 'Woman in the Window' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (July 13, 2018). "Wyatt Russell Joins Amy Adams In Fox 2000's 'The Woman In The Window'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (July 25, 2018). "Gary Oldman Joins Amy Adams in 'The Woman in the Window' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (July 25, 2018). "'Atlanta' Star Brian Tyree Henry Added To Fox 2000's 'The Woman In The Window' Thriller". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (August 6, 2018). "Film News Roundup: Craig Sheffer to Star in Horror Movie 'Widow's Point'". Variety. Retrieved August 7, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (August 14, 2018). "Anthony Mackie Joins Amy Adams, Julianne Moore in Joe Wright's 'Woman in the Window' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Finn, AJ (July 26, 2018). "All will be revealed soon. Production begins on August 5th, after all!". Twitter.com. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- JOE WRIGHT’S ‘WOMAN IN THE WINDOW’ SHOOTS NEXT MONTH IN NYC – GARY OLDMAN MIGHT JOIN CAST
- "The Woman in the Window". Backstage. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Siegel, Tatiana (April 7, 2021). ""Everyone Just Knows He's an Absolute Monster": Scott Rudin's Ex-Staffers Speak Out on Abusive Behavior". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 7, 2021.
- Fox Dates Amy Adams Pic 'Woman In The Window', Moves Thriller 'Bad Times At The El Royale'
- Keegan, Rebecca (July 9, 2019). "Amy Adams' 'Woman in the Window' to Move to 2020 as Disney Retools Fox Film". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 20, 2019). "Amy Adams 'Woman In The Window' Will Now Open In Early Summer, 'Cruella' Moves To 2021". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 20, 2019.
- Rubin, Rebecca (March 17, 2020). "'Black Widow' Release Pulled Amid Coronavirus Pandemic". Variety. Retrieved March 17, 2020.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (August 3, 2020). "Netflix Negotiating For 'The Woman In The Window' With Amy Adams; Last Fox 2000 Elizabeth Gabler Project Will Be Let Go By Disney". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 3, 2020.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (January 12, 2021). "Netflix Unveils A 2021 Film Slate With Bigger Volume & Star Wattage; Scott Stuber On The Escalating Film Ambition". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on January 12, 2021. Retrieved January 12, 2021.
- @NetflixFilm (March 4, 2021). "Amy Adams THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW On Netflix May 14" (Tweet). Retrieved March 4, 2021 – via Twitter.
- Ivie, Devon (March 4, 2021). "The Woman in the Window Movie Really, Finally Has a Release Date". Vulture. Retrieved March 27, 2021.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (March 21, 2019). "Elizabeth Gabler's Fox 2000 To Shutter As Disney Takes Over". Deadline. Retrieved March 21, 2019.