Thomas P. Barber (judge)
Thomas P. Barber
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida|
|Assumed office |
July 11, 2019
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||James D. Whittemore|
|Judge of the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida|
2008 – July 11, 2019
|Appointed by||Charlie Crist|
|Judge of the Hillsborough County Court|
|Appointed by||Jeb Bush|
|Born||December 1, 1966|
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Education||University of Florida (BA)|
University of Pennsylvania Law School (JD)
Thomas Patrick Barber (born December 1, 1966) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Education and legal career
Barber was born on December 1, 1966, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He earned his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Florida, where he was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, and his Juris Doctor from the University of Pennsylvania Law School. After graduating law school, he practiced for five years in the trial and business litigation department of Carlton Fields, P.A. He then served as an Assistant Statewide Prosecutor in the Office of Statewide Prosecution and as an Assistant State Attorney for the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit. Upon completion of his service as a prosecutor he returned to Carlton Fields, P.A., where his practice focused on business litigation until his appointment to the bench.
State court service
In 2004, Governor Jeb Bush appointed Barber to the Hillsborough County Court. Barber was elevated to the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida by Charlie Crist in 2008. He was most recently re-elected to a new six-year term in 2016. His state court service ended when he was commissioned as a federal judge.
Federal judicial service
On April 26, 2018, President Trump announced his intent to nominate Barber to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida. On May 7, 2018, his nomination was sent to the Senate. He was nominated to the seat vacated by Judge James D. Whittemore, who assumed senior status on August 29, 2017. On October 17, 2018, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
On January 3, 2019, his nomination was returned to the President under Rule XXXI, Paragraph 6 of the United States Senate. On January 23, 2019, President Trump announced his intent to renominate Barber for a federal judgeship. His nomination was sent to the Senate later that day. On February 7, 2019, his nomination was reported out of committee by a 20–2 vote. On June 11, 2019, the Senate voted 75–21 to invoke cloture on the nomination. On June 12, 2019, his nomination was confirmed by a vote of 77–19. He received his judicial commission on July 11, 2019.
- "BIOGRAPHIES OF STATE AND COUNTY COURT JUDGES IN FLORIDA" (PDF). June 1, 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 1, 2017. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees: Thomas P. Barber
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Thirteenth Wave of Judicial Nominees and Seventh Wave of United States Marshal Nominees, White House, April 26, 2018 This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Candidates and Races". Florida Department of State.
- "Fifteen Nominations Sent to the Senate Today" White House, May 7, 2018
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for October 17, 2018
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Judicial Nominees", White House, January 23, 2019
- "Nominations Sent to the Senate", White House, January 23, 2019
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – February 7, 2019, Senate Judiciary Committee
- Roll Call Vote 116th Congress - 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 153, United States Senate, June 11, 2019
- Roll Call Vote 116th Congress - 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 158, United States Senate, June 12, 2019
- Thomas P. Barber at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Profile on Thirteenth Judicial District: Hillsborough County
- Thomas P. Barber at Ballotpedia
| Judge of the Hillsborough County Court
| Judge of the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
James D. Whittemore
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida