Rodney Smith (judge)
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida|
|Assumed office |
June 14, 2019
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Robin S. Rosenbaum|
|Judge of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida|
July 2012 – June 13, 2019
|Appointed by||Rick Scott|
|Preceded by||Scott J. Silverman|
|Judge of the Miami-Dade County Court|
May 2008 – July 2012
|Appointed by||Charlie Crist|
|Born||December 16, 1974|
Miami, Florida, U.S.
|Education||Florida A&M University (BS)|
Michigan State University (JD)
Rodney Smith (born December 16, 1974) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Smith served as an Assistant County Attorney for the Miami-Dade County's Attorney's office from 1999 to 2003. He then was in private practice from 2003 to 2007. From 2007 to 2008, he served as a Senior Assistant City Attorney for the city of Miami Beach. Governor Charlie Crist appointed him in 2008 to preside as a judge of the Miami-Dade County Court, where he served until 2012. Governor Rick Scott appointed him to the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court in 2012, where he served until his elevation to the federal bench in 2019.
Federal judicial service
Smith was mentioned as a potential judicial nominee in February 2018. On April 26, 2018, President Trump announced his intent to nominate Smith to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. On May 7, 2018, his nomination was sent to the Senate. He was nominated to the seat vacated by Judge Robin S. Rosenbaum, who was elevated to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit on June 2, 2014. On October 17, 2018, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
On January 3, 2019, his nomination was returned to the President under Rule XXXI, Paragraph 6 of the United States Senate. On January 23, 2019, President Trump announced his intent to renominate Smith for a federal judgeship. His nomination was sent to the Senate later that day. On February 7, 2019, his nomination was reported out of committee by a 17–5 vote. On June 11, 2019, the Senate voted 77–19 to invoke cloture on his nomination. On June 12, 2019, his nomination was confirmed by a vote of 78–18. He received his judicial commission on June 14, 2019.
- "BIOGRAPHIES OF STATE AND COUNTY COURT JUDGES IN FLORIDA" (PDF). June 1, 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 1, 2017. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- McMahon, Paula (February 13, 2018). "Trump names his top three picks for federal judge in South Florida". Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- "Judge Details". Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- Resignation Letter — June 13, 2019
- Caputo, Marc (February 13, 2018). "Trump taps 3 new judges in federal district overseeing Mar-a-Lago". Politico. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Thirteenth Wave of Judicial Nominees and Seventh Wave of United States Marshal Nominees". whitehouse.gov. April 26, 2018. Retrieved April 26, 2018. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Fifteen Nominations Sent to the Senate Today" White House, May 7, 2018
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for October 17, 2018
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Judicial Nominees", White House, January 23, 2019
- "Nominations Sent to the Senate", White House, January 23, 2019
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – February 7, 2019, Senate Judiciary Committee
- Roll Call Vote 116th Congress - 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 152, United States Senate, June 11, 2019
- Roll Call Vote 116th Congress - 1st Session United States Senate Vote Summary: Vote Number 157, United States Senate, June 12, 2019
- Rodney Smith at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Rodney Smith at Ballotpedia
Scott J. Silverman
| Judge of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
Robin S. Rosenbaum
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida