Thomas R. Chiola
|Thomas R. Chiola|
|Judge of the Illinois Circuit Court of Cook County|
|Succeeded by||Celia G. Gamrath|
|Born||March 18, 1952|
|Alma mater||Illinois State University (B.S.)
University of Illinois College of Law (J.D.)
Thomas R. Chiola (born March 18, 1952) served as a judge of the Illinois Circuit Court of Cook County from 1994 to 2009. He was the first openly gay person elected to the court office as a Judge in Illinois.
Early life and education
Chiola grew up in Springfield, Illinois. He graduated from Springfield's Griffin High School (now Sacred Heart-Griffin High School) in 1970. Chiola then received a Bachelor of Science from Illinois State University in 1974 and a Juris Doctor from the University of Illinois College of Law in 1977.
- Byron Flitsch, History-making gay judge set to retire, Windy City Times (January 6, 2010).
- Neal Pollack, In and Out, Chicago Reader (August 18, 1994).
- Thomas R. Chiola - Lawyer Profile, Martindale.
- Steve Schmadeke, Gay, lesbian judges in Cook County note their progress, Chicago Tribune (December 6, 2009).
- Joan Biskupic, Amid debate over rights, number of gay judges rising, USA Today (October 17, 2006).