Compton in 2016
|No. 76 Chicago Bears|
|Date of birth:||May 10, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Rosemount, Minnesota|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||308 lb (140 kg)|
|High school:||Rosemount (MN)|
|NFL Draft:||2012 / Round: 6 / Pick: 193|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Thomas Compton (born May 10, 1989) is an American football offensive tackle for the Chicago Bears of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of South Dakota and was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the sixth round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Compton has also played for the Atlanta Falcons.
At South Dakota, Compton was a three-time Great West Conference selection—honorable mention in 2009 and consecutive first team selections in 2010, 2011—and 2011 GWC Offensive Lineman of the Year. After his senior season, he played at the 2012 East–West Shrine Game.
Compton was invited to the 2012 NFL Combine, where he was listed as the No. 9 offensive tackle prospect. Projected as a fourth round selection by Sports Illustrated, Compton was ranked as the No. 8 offensive tackle available in the 2012 NFL Draft.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in||314 lb||34 in||10 in||5.11 s||4.60 s||7.59 s||30.0 in||9 ft 0 in||20 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Compton was drafted in the sixth round of 2012 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. He was the first South Dakota Coyote drafted since Chul Schwanke in 1986. He was officially signed by the Redskins to a four-year contract on May 6, 2012. Compton was cut on August 31, 2012 for final cuts before the start of the 2012 season. After not being claimed off waivers, he was signed to the team's practice squad the next day.
On December 5, 2012, it was announced that Compton had been promoted to the Redskins 53-man roster after the Redskins placed cornerback Cedric Griffin on the Reserve/Suspension list. He became the starting right tackle midway through the 2014 season, after the incumbent Tyler Polumbus was benched following poor performance.
The Redskins re-signed Compton on February 27, 2015.
- "View Draft by Positions". CNN.
- NFL Combine Profile
- Fitzgerald, Gary (April 28, 2012). "Redskins Focus On Depth In Late Rounds". Redskins.com. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- Jones, Mike (May 6, 2012). "Redskins sign two more draft picks". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- Jones, Mike (August 31, 2012). "Redskins' cutdown day begins". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- Jones, Mike (September 1, 2012). "Redskins add CB Crezdon Butler to round out 53-man roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Jones, Mike (December 5, 2012). "Redskins promote rookie T Tom Compton to 53-man roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- Keim, John (October 24, 2014). "Tom Compton in, Tyler Polumbus out at RT". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- Keim, John (February 27, 2015). "Redskins re-sign Tom Compton". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-02-27.
- Czarda, Stephen (March 15, 2016). "Tom Compton Reportedly Signing With Falcons". Redskins.com. Retrieved March 15, 2016.
- "Falcons sign OT Tom Compton, LB LaRoy Reynolds". ESPN.com. March 16, 2016. Retrieved November 26, 2016.
- Mayer, Larry (March 11, 2017). "Bears add WR Wright, OT Compton". ChicagoBears.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tom Compton.|