Tonbridge and Malling (UK Parliament constituency)
|Tonbridge and Malling|
for the House of Commons
|Major settlements||Tonbridge, Edenbridge and West Malling|
|Member of Parliament||Tom Tugendhat (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Sevenoaks, Tonbridge|
Tonbridge and Malling is a constituency represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since 2015 by Tom Tugendhat, a Conservative. The constituency is located in Western Kent, in South East England.
1974–1983: The Urban District of Tonbridge, the Rural District of Malling, and part of the Rural District of Tonbridge.
1983–1997: The District of Tonbridge and Malling.
1997–2010: The Borough of Tonbridge and Malling wards of Birling, Leybourne and Ryarsh, Borough Green, Cage Green, Castle, East Malling, East Peckham, Hadlow, Higham, Hildenborough, Ightham, Judd, Long Mill, Medway, Oast, Trench, Vauxhall, Wateringbury, West Malling, West Peckham and Mereworth, and Wrotham, and the District of Sevenoaks wards of Edenbridge North, Edenbridge South, Leigh, Penshurst and Fordcombe, and Somerden.
2010–present: The Borough of Tonbridge and Malling wards of Borough Green and Long Mill, Cage Green, Castle, Downs, East Malling, East Peckham and Golden Green, Hadlow, Mereworth and West Peckham, Higham, Hildenborough, Ightham, Judd, Kings Hill, Medway, Trench, Vauxhall, Wateringbury, West Malling and Leybourne, and Wrotham, and the District of Sevenoaks wards of Cowden and Hever, Edenbridge North and East, Edenbridge South and West, Leigh and Chiddingstone Causeway, and Penshurst, Fordcombe and Chiddingstone.
The constituency is in the west of the county of Kent in south eastern England and includes about two-thirds of the Borough of Tonbridge and Malling (the remainder being in the Chatham and Aylesford constituency),and parts of Sevenoaks District.
This safe Conservative seat is characterised by a large commuter population benefiting from good road and rail links to London. Light engineering, farming and local service industry sectors are represented alongside the public sector, skilled trades and some construction. Visitor attractions in the constituency include the River Medway, the Eden Valley Walk which covers Edenbridge and Penshurst, including Hever Castle, Chiddingstone Castle, Penshurst Place and Tonbridge Castle. In this seat are numerous oast houses and remaining Wealden woodlands.
Workless claimants, registered jobseekers, were in November 2012 significantly lower than the national average of 3.8%, at 2.0% of the population based on a statistical compilation by The Guardian.
Members of Parliament
|Feb 1974||Sir John Stanley||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Richard Morris||8,843||15.5||8.8|
|Liberal Democrats||Keith Miller||3,787||6.7||0.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Mary Varrall||3,660||6.8||15.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Elizabeth Simpson||11,545||22.5||3.0|
|National Front||Michael Easter||505||1.0||New|
|English Democrat||Lisa Rogers||390||0.8||New|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||John Barstow||8,980||19.5||+1.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Jean Canet||7,605||17.9||−1.3|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Keith Brown||9,467||19.2||−4.3|
|Natural Law||Gerard Valente||205||0.4||+0.1|
|Liberal Democrats||Paul D. Roberts||14,984||23.5||−5.9|
|Labour||Margaret A. O'Neill||11,533||18.1||+5.0|
|Natural Law||Janet I.R. Horvath||221||0.3||New|
Elections in the 1980s
Elections in the 1970s
|National Front||G. Burnett||429||0.8||New|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2015 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 29 April 2015. Archived from the original on 6 April 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "Neighbourhood Statistics". statistics.gov.uk. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "T" (part 2)
- "Tonbridge & Malling Parliamentary constituency". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Tom Tugendhat MP". Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "UK Polling Report". ukpollingreport.co.uk. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- Tonbridge and Malling Labour Party. "@ClaireLeighLab, Labour PPC for Tonbridge Edenbridge & Malling". claireleigh4tonbridge.co.uk. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results: June 1987 [Archive]". politicsresources.net. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "UK General Election results: June 1983 [Archive]". politicsresources.net. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "UK General Election results: May 1979 [Archive]". politicsresources.net. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "UK General Election results: October 1974 [Archive]". politicsresources.net. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- "UK General Election results: February 1974 [Archive]". politicsresources.net. Retrieved 13 September 2015.