Transport in Costa Rica
There are many modes of transport in Costa Rica.
- total: 278 km (173 mi)
- narrow gauge: 278 km (173 mi) of 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) gauge (260 km (162 mi) electrified)
- total: 35,330 km (21,953 mi)
- paved: 8,621 km (5,357 mi)
- unpaved: 26,709 km (16,596 mi)
The road system in Costa Rica is not as developed as it might be expected for such a country. However, there are some two-lane autopistas with restricted access under development. Current ones are
- 1 San José - San Ramón. Length: 55 km. Two lanes on most of its extension.
- 2 San José - Cartago. Length: 19 km. Four lanes entirely.
- 27 San José - Puntarenas. Length: 88 km. Two lanes entirely.
- refined products 242 km (150 mi)
Ports and harbors
- total: 2 ships (1,000 gross register tons (GRT) or over) 2,308 GRT/743 tonnes deadweight (DWT)
- ships by type:
157 see also List of airports in Costa Rica
Airports - with unpaved runways
- total: 115
- 914 to 1,523 m: 24
- under 914 m: 101
This article incorporates public domain material from the CIA World Factbook website https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html.