Trial by Jury (film)
|This article does not cite any sources. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Trial by Jury|
|Directed by||Heywood Gould|
|Produced by||James G. Robinson
|Written by||Jordan Katz
|Music by||Terence Blanchard|
|Edited by||Joel Goodman|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
For one juror, the question of guilt or innocence is a matter of life or death... her own.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2015)|
Pirone sends one of his henchmen, a burned-out ex-cop named Tommy Vesey (William Hurt), to threaten Valerie Alston (Joanne Whalley-Kilmer), a juror. Unless she cooperates by finding Pirone innocent and deadlocking the jury, Vesey intends to do harm to Valerie's young son.
Eleven jurors vote guilty. Valerie incurs the wrath of the others, who feel Pirone's guilt is obvious. One by one, though, she begins to persuade others to vote her way.
Pirone goes free. Graham is furious and, when he discovers Valerie's role in the verdict, he begins to pressure her. Valerie is adamant that she has done nothing wrong and feels that she has protected her son, but Pirone won't leave it at that. He forces himself sexually on her and continues to make veiled threats against her life.
Vesey's conscience gets the better of him and he intervenes in an attempt by Pirone's jealous woman, Wanda, to have Valerie killed. Vesey dies in the act of saving Valerie's life.
With nowhere else to turn, Valerie decides to seduce Pirone at his home, then kill him herself.
- Joanne Whalley-Kilmer as Valerie Alston
- Armand Assante as Rusty Pirone
- Gabriel Byrne as Daniel Graham
- William Hurt as Tommy Vesey
- Kathleen Quinlan as Wanda
- Margaret Whitton as Jane Lyle, Juror
- Ed Lauter as John Boyle
- Richard Portnow as Leo Greco
- Lisa Arrindell Anderson as Eleanor Lyons
- Jack Gwaltney as Teddy Parnell
- Graham Jarvis as Mr. Duffy, Foreman
- William R. Moses as Paul Baker, Juror
- Joe Santos as Johnny Verona
- Beau Starr as Phillie
- Bryan Shilowich as Robbie, Valerie's Son
- Stuart Whitman as Emmett, Valerie's Father
- Kevin Ramsey as Edmund
- Fiona Gallagher as Camille, Juror
- Kay Hawtrey as Clara, Juror
- Ardon Bess as Albert, Juror
- Karina Arroyave as Mercedes, Juror
- Andrew Sabiston as Elliot, Juror
- Paul Soles as Mr. Kriegsberg, Juror
- Jovanni Sy as Louis, Juror
- Damon D'Oliveira as Rafael, Juror
- Andrew Miller as Krasny
- Richard Fitzpatrick as Balsam
- Robert Breuler as Judge Feld
- Ron Hale as Bailiff
- Jack Ellerton as Staring Drinker
- Gordon Welke as Hanson the Prisoner (in shocking washroom scene with Joe Santos' character, Johnny Verona)
Trial by Jury received negative reviews from critics, with a rating of 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Trial by Jury at the Internet Movie Database
- Trial by Jury at the American Film Institute Catalog
- Trial by Jury at the TCM Movie Database
- Trial by Jury at AllMovie
- Trial by Jury at TV Guide (1987 write-up was originally published in the 1995 edition of The Motion Picture Guide)
- Trial by Jury at Box Office Mojo
- Trial by Jury at Rotten Tomatoes
|This article about a crime thriller film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|