|Public, not listed|
|Peter Blom, CEO|
|Revenue||€163.7 million (2013)|
|€25.7 million (2013)|
|AUM||€9.646 billion (2013)|
Number of employees
Triodos Bank N.V. is a bank based in the Netherlands with branches in Belgium, Germany, United Kingdom and Spain. It claims to be a pioneer in ethical banking. Triodos Bank finances companies which it thinks add cultural value and benefit both people and the environment. That includes companies in the fields of solar energy, organic farming or culture. The name Triodos is derived from the Greek "τρὶ ὁδος - tri hodos," meaning "three-way approach" (people, planet, profit). Triodos Bank's balance sheet was worth EUR 5.3 billion by the end of 2012. It is influenced by the anthroposophical movement.
Triodos is unusual in that it only lends to businesses and charities judged to be of social or ecological benefit. This "positive screening" extends its policies beyond those of ethical banks which solely avoid investing in companies judged to be doing harm ("negative screening"). The bank uses money deposited by close to 100,000 savers and lends it to hundreds of organisations, such as fair trade initiatives, organic farms, cultural and arts initiatives, renewable energy projects, and social enterprises.
Savers can open conventional savings accounts, as well as ethical funds and venture capital. Triodos also has an active international department, supporting microfinance initiatives across the developing world. Triodos is the only commercial bank in the UK to provide an annual list of all the loans the bank has made.
In 1980 Triodos launched the first "green fund", a fund for environmentally friendly projects, on the Amsterdam Stock Exchange. Friends of the Earth in the Netherlands claims that transferring 10,000 euros in savings from a "climate laggard" such as ABN Amro to Triodos will effectively result in a carbon dioxide emissions saving equivalent to what would be achieved by not driving a car for six months. The bank compensates 100% of its own CO2 emissions.
The bank operations and customer relations are mainly based on the web, but adapt to local customs. In Spain, for example, physical offices are preferred by the clients and therefore several commercial offices have been opened in the major towns.
- "Triodos Bank Annual Report 2012". Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- Haurant, Sandra (2004-03-04). "Put your money where your mouth is". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Guide to savings accounts". February 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-16.
- Visscher, Marco (Jan–Feb 2006). "Banking on Change". Odemagazine.com.
- "Green campaigner sees red over those eco-unfriendly big banks". The Guardian (London). 2007-07-07. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "Triodos Bank Annual Report 2012: Key Figures". Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- "Interview with Matthijs Bierman". VARA Radio. February 2, 2012.
- "Articles of Association of Triodos Bank N.V." (PDF). Triodos Bank. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Triodos Bank.|