Tristan da Cunha Island Council
|Tristan da Cunha Island Council|
|Seats||11 Councillors (8 elected, 3 appointed)|
|Tristan da Cunha Island Council|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
The Tristan da Cunha Island Council is the legislature of the island of Tristan da Cunha in the Atlantic Ocean. The composition of the Island Council consists of the Administrator as President, plus three appointed and eight elected members. At least one member of the council must be a woman.
On 9 March 2016, the following eight Councillors were elected to the Tristan da Cunha Island Council for the 2016 to 2019 legislative term:
- James Patrick Glass
- Warren Glass
- Sarah Green
- Terence Green
- Ian Lavarello[nb 1]
- Lorraine Repetto
- Emma Swain
- Paula Swain
In addition, the three additional Councillors, who were appointed to the Island Council by Administrator of Tristan da Cunha, Alex Mitham, are:
In 2007, the following were elected to serve on the Island Council: Lorraine Repetto, Conrad Glass, Robin Repetto, Dereck Charles Rogers, Ian Lavarello, James Patrick Glass, Iris Green, Lillie Carlene Swain, Lorraine Repetto, Conrad Glass, Robin Repetto, Dereck Charles Rogers, Ian Lavarello, James Patrick Glass, Iris Green, Lillie Carlene Swain. The following were co-opted by Administrator (all had previously been Chief Islanders): Harold Green, Anne Green, Lewis Green. The turnout at the election was 56.2%, markedly lower than in previous years.
In 2010, all the council posts were uncontested (an election had been scheduled for 10 March). The following candidates were therefore returned without election: Ian Lavarello, Robin Repetto, Marion Green, Beverley Repetto, Dereck Rogers, James Glass, Lorraine Repetto, Iris Green, Dawn Repetto, Conrad Glass, and Anne Green.
As with 2010, there were eight nominations for the eight places on the Island Council so an election was not held and all candidates were automatically returned. Apart from Ian Lavarello, all the new councillors had not served before. The returned candidates were: Leon Glass, Warren Glass, Joanne Green, Ian Lavarello, Gerald Repetto, Beverley Swain, Emma Swain, Neil Swain. Additionally, the Administrator co-opted Iris Green, Conrad Glass and Lorraine Repetto.
One of the Islander Councillors is elected Tristan da Cunha's Chief Islander every three years. The following were elected to the post for the years indicated:
- 1970–73: Harold Green
- 1973–79: Albert Glass
- 1979–82: Harold Green (second term)
- 1982–85: Albert Glass (second term)
- 1985–88: Harold Green (third term)
- 1988–91: Anne Green
- 1991–94: Lewis Glass
- 1994–2003: James Glass
- 2003–07: Anne Green (second term)
- 2007–10: Conrad Glass
- 2010–present: Ian Lavarello (term ends in 2019)
- Tristan da Cunha Island Council
- "Island Council 2016-2019".
- Reports during Chief Islander Ian Lavarello's 3rd Term of Office 2016-2019
- Tristan da Cunha Chief Islanders (Official Webpage)
- "Profile of Conrad Glass Chief Islander 2007 - 2010". Tristan da Cunha Government. Archived from the original on 23 June 2014. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Sarah Glass, "Tristan's Election Results", Tristan Times, 4 April 2007. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- Juanita Brock, "New Island Council elected to serve until 2013", Tristan Times, 28 May 2010. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Tristan Island Council 2010–2013", Tristan da Cunha. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Tristan Island Council 2013–2016", Tristan da Cunha. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- "Chief Islander", Tristan da Cunha. Retrieved 28 November 2017.