UCLA Bruins gymnastics
|UCLA Women's Gymnastics|
|University||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Location||Los Angeles, CA|
|Head Coach||Valorie Kondos Field (1991-present year)|
|Home Arena||Pauley Pavilion
|Known As||UCLA Bruins|
|Colors||True Blue and UCLA Gold
|6 (1997, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2010)
|NCAA Regional Champions|
|21 (1982, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015)
|17 (2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2000, 1999, 1997, 1995, 1993, 1990, 1989, 1988, 1987, 1981)
The UCLA Bruins women's gymnastics team represents the University of California at Los Angeles and competes in the Pacific-12 (Pac-12) Conference. They currently compete in Pauley Pavilion, Los Angeles, CA. The team, coached by head coach Valorie Kondos-Field, has won 6 NCAA Women's Gymnastics championships (1997, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2010) and 21 Regional titles, including 10 in the last 15 years. UCLA won the 2010 NCAA Women's Gymnastics championship on April 23, 2010. Vanessa Zamarripa was the vault champion with a score of 9.9250 and Brittani McCullough won the floor exercise championship with a 9.9375.
There had been some doubts as to the stability of women's gymnastics at UCLA after the athletic department cut the program in the fall of 1993.
In 1994, the UCLA women's gymnastics team signed Kerri Strug. Strug's letter of intent was for the season following the 1996 Olympics. After her participation in the Ice Capades and Disney on Ice, Strug announced her retirement and enrolled in UCLA. As a professional, she could not compete in NCAA gymnastics events, so she worked for a time as team manager. She later transferred to Stanford University.
Some notable former UCLA gymnasts include current stuntwoman Heidi Moneymaker and Olympic Team members Jamie Dantzscher, Mohini Bhardwaj, Kate Richardson, Tasha Schwikert, Kristen Maloney, Yvonne Tousek, Stella Umeh, Luisa Portocarrero, Sam Peszek, Peng Peng Lee, Jennifer Pinches, and Jordyn Wieber.
- 2008 Canadian Olympic Gymnastics team member Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs attended UCLA, a member of the team in 2008-2009 season.
- The Bruins won the 2009 Pac-10 title, their 14th, and was 7th seeded in the NCAA National Championships. They competed at the NCAA North Central Regionals at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Apr. 4 with Florida (#6), Minnesota (#18), Denver (#20), Iowa State (#23) and Iowa (#28). The Bruins came in second behind Florida.
- 2009 – In the second session of the national championships, the Bruins finished tie for third place with Utah. But Utah won the tie breakers by counting all the scores of the six competitors in each event and advanced to the Super Six team finals.
- 2010 – The team won its 15th Pacific-10 Championship, with Anna Li scoring a perfect 10 on uneven bars. Vanessa Zamarripa won all-around and vault, and was named 2010 Pac-10 Gymnast Of The Year.
- 2010 – UCLA Gymnastics won the Los Angeles Regional and qualified for the NCAA Championships in Gainesville, Florida. Anna Li again scored a perfect 10 on the uneven bars at Pauley Pavilion, where both of her parents, Li Yuejiu and Wu Jiani won medals at the 1984 Olympic Games.
- 2010 - USA Olympic team silver medalist Sam Peszek is attending UCLA, and is a new member of the 2011 UCLA gymnastics team.
- 2010- The team won its sixth ncaa title at the O'Connell Center in Gainesville, FL.
- 2011 – UCLA finished second in the national competition; Athens Regional champions; Sam Peszek was first in balance beam with a 9.90 score.
- 2012 – Third place finish in team competition; Olivia Courtney was third in uneven bars, and Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs was second in floor exercise.
- 2013 – UCLA was 4th in the team competition held at its own Pauley Pavilion; Four Bruins finished as top-eight performers in individual competition, three (Olivia Courtney, Kaelie Baer, and Vanessa Zamarripa) on vault and one (Danusia Francis) on beam.
- 2014 - UCLA did not qualify to Saturday night's Super Six competition in Birmingham, AL. Two Bruins competed on Sunday in event finals, Sam Peszek and Olivia Courtney.
- 2015 – UCLA captured the team's 21st Regional Championship with a score of 197.500 points at the NCAA Columbus Regional. Samantha Peszek was the All Around Co-Champion with 39.6 points; Samantha Peszek also won the balance beam with a 9.950 score.
List of coaches for the 2013-14 team:
- Valorie Kondos Field - Head Coach
- Chris Waller - Associate Head Coach
- Randy Lane - Assistant Coach
- Kassidy Kozai - Undergraduate Assistant Coach
- Cory Tomlinson - Team Manager
- Cassie Whitcomb - Team Manager
- Jordyn Wieber - Team Manager
Current roster (2015)
|Sadiqua Bynum||5-4||R-JR||Berkeley, CA||Head Over Heels Athletic Arts|
|Angi Cipra||5-2||SO||Mesa, AZ||Desert Devils Gymnastics|
|Ellette Craddock||5-5||SR||San Francisco, CA||San Mateo Gymnastics Center|
|Sophina DeJesus||5-1||JR||Temecula, CA||SCEGA|
|Rechelle Dennis||5-4||FR||Dix Hills, NY||Gold Medal Huntington|
|Karli Dugas||5-2||FR||Ventura, CA||GymJam|
|Danusia Francis||5-4||JR||Kenilworth, UK||Heathrow Gymnastics Club|
|Mikaela Gerber||5-5||SO||Cambridge, Ontario||Oakville Gymnastics Club|
|Napualani Hall||5-4||FR||Kansas City, MO||Fuzion Gymnastics|
|JaNay Honest||5-2||FR||Visalia, CA||Central California|
|LaNiesha-Jopré Irvin||5-2||FR||Eastvale, CA||Winner's Academy|
|Christine Peng-Peng Lee||5-2||R-SO||Richmond Hill, Ontario||Sport Seneca/Oakville Gymnastics Club|
|Jessy MacArthur||5-5||SO||Newhall, Calif.||GymJam|
|Sonya Meraz||5-1||FR||Santa Monica, CA||All Olympia|
|Melissa Metcalf||5-3||FR||Mesa, AZ||Desert Devils Gymnastics|
|Hallie Mossett||5-2||SO||Los Angeles, CA||West Coast Elite Gymnastics|
|Samantha Peszek||5-1||R-SR||Indianapolis, Ind.||Sharp's Gymnastics/DeVeau's|
|Jennifer Pinches||5-4||SO||Manchester, England||City of Liverpool|
|Alex Waller||5-3||FR||Valencia, Calif.||GymJam|
|Jordan Williams||5-5||GR||Rancho Cucamonga, CA||Arizona Wildcats/Precision Gymnastics|
- Head Coach: Valorie Kondos Field
- Associate Head Coach: Chris Waller
- Assistant Coach: Randy Lane
- Volunteer Assistant Coach: Dom Palange
Gymnasts who have committed to attend UCLA in the future:
With the titles in 2015, UCLA now has 33 NCAA individual titles and six team titles:
|Team||UCLA (6) 1997, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2010|
|All Around||Onnie Willis, 2001; Jamie Dantzscher, 2002; Tasha Schwikert, 2005; Tasha Schwikert, 2008; Sam Peszek, 2015|
|Vault||Jill Andrews, 1988; Kim Hamilton, 1989; Heidi Moneymaker, 1999; Jamie Dantzscher, 2002; Kristen Maloney, 2005; Vanessa Zamarripa, 2010|
|Uneven Parallel Bars||Heidi Moneymaker, 1998; Mohini Bhardwaj, 2000; Yvonne Tousek, 2001; Jamie Dantzscher, 2003; Kate Richardson, 2003; Tasha Schwikert, 2008|
|Balance Beam||Jill Andrews, 1989; Kiralee Hayashi, 1999; Lena Degteva, 2000; Kate Richardson, 2003; Kristen Maloney, 2005; Sam Peszek, 2011; Sam Peszek, 2015|
|Floor Exercise||Kim Hamilton, 1987; Kim Hamilton, 1988; Kim Hamilton, 1989; Stella Umeh,1995; Stella Umeh, 1998; Mohini Bhardwaj, 2001; Jamie Dantzscher, 2002; Kate Richardson, 2006; Brittani McCullough, 2010|
Awards and honors
- Honda Award Winners
- Kristen Maloney, 2005
- Onnie Willis, 2003
- Mohini Bhardwaj, 2001
- Jill Andrews, 1990
- Sharon Shapiro, 1981
- AAI Award (National Senior of the Year)
- Vanessa Zamarripa, 2013
- Jamie Dantzscher, 2004
- Mohini Bhardwaj, 2001
- Donna Kemp, 1984
- National Coach of the Year
- Valorie Kondos Field, 2001, 2000, 1997, 1996, 1989
- Jerry Tomlinson, 1989
- National Asst. Coach of the Year
- Chris Waller, 2004
- Randy Lane, 2000
Former team members
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (December 2013)|
Notable rosters (1996-1997 Championship):
- Lena Degteva
- Anne Dixon
- Susie Erickson
- Andrea Fong
- Kiralee Hayashi
- Lisa Hiley
- Leah Homma
- Deborah Mink
- Heidi Moneymaker
- Luisa Portocarrero
- Karin Silvestri
- Amy Smith
- Carmen Tausend
- Stella Umeh
||This list or list section may be better with years. (December 2013)|
- Kristina Comforte
- Anna Li
- Jordan Schwikert
- Tasha Schwikert
- Kim Hamilton Anthony, first African-American female gymnastics champion.
- Vanessa Zamarripa
- 2008 Record: 18-6, 3rd place in Conference, 2nd place in Regional, 7th place in NCAA.
- Both of Anna Li's parents competed at the 1984 Olympics in Pauley Pavilion for China. Li's father Yuejiu was a silver medalist. He was also the first World Champion on floor exercise in 1981 for China. Yuejiu led both of the Chinese men's and women's Olympic Gymnastics teams to the 2008 Olympic gold medal, and the 2006 World Championship team title. Her mother Jiani was a five-time Chinese National Champion, World Championship bronze medalist on beam in 1981 and an Olympic bronze team medalist in 1984.
- 2009 - UCLA has now qualified for 25 NCAA Gymnastics Championships.
- Lichelle Wong, of Ossendrecht, Netherlands, has signed a letter-of-intent to join the team in the fall of 2009.
The Bruins men's gymnastics team won two NCAA national champions in 1984 and 1987. The program has since discontinued.
Some of the team's members have participated in the Olympic Games. They include:
- Tim Daggett (1984 Olympics)
- Mitch Gaylord (1984 Olympics)
- Scott Keswick (1992 Olympics)
- Peter Vidmar (1984 Olympics)
- UCLA Wins Pac-10 Gymnastics Championship
- 2009 National Collegiate Women's Gymnastics Championships
- UCLA Gymnastics Wins Los Angeles Regional To Qualify For NCAA Championships, UCLABruins.com, April 10, 2010
- "Gymnastics - Coaches - UCLA Bruins Official Athletic Site". UCLABruins.com. Retrieved 2013-12-28.
- "Gymnastics - Roster - UCLA Bruins Official Athletic Site". UCLABruins.com. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- Zamarripa, McCullough Win NCAA Event Titles, UCLABruins.com, April 24, 2010
- UCLA Gymnastics official website