USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53)
USS John Paul Jones in the Persian Gulf
|Name:||USS John Paul Jones|
|Namesake:||John Paul Jones|
|Ordered:||25 September 1987|
|Awarded:||25 September 1987|
|Builder:||Bath Iron Works|
|Laid down:||8 August 1990|
|Launched:||26 October 1991|
|Commissioned:||18 December 1993|
|Homeport:||Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam|
|Motto:||In Harm's Way|
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Arleigh Burke-class destroyer|
|Length:||505 ft (154 m)|
|Beam:||66 ft (20 m)|
|Draft:||31 ft (9.4 m)|
|Propulsion:||4 General Electric LM2500-30 gas turbines, two shafts, 100,000 total shaft horsepower (75 MW)|
|Speed:||>30 knots (56 km/h)|
|Aircraft carried:||2 Sikorsky MH-60R helicopters can be embarked|
USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53) is the third Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer and the first ship of the class homeported on the west coast. She is named after American Revolutionary War naval captain John Paul Jones and the second ship to be so named (previous ship was DD-932 / DDG-32). She was built at Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine. The ship is currently part of Destroyer Squadron 23, and administratively reports to Commander, Naval Surface Forces Pacific.
John Paul Jones is capable of operating independently, as an element of a coordinated force, or as the nucleus of a surface action group, and to direct and coordinate anti-air, surface, undersea, and strike warfare operations. The ship is named in honor of John Paul Jones and derives her motto from his words: "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way."
The ship is equipped with the Aegis combat system and is capable of conducting both offensive and defensive operations using Tomahawk cruise missiles, RGM-84 Harpoon and RIM-66 Standard missiles, CIWS, and 5-inch (127 mm) gun. The Arleigh Burke class is the first class of U.S. warships to be fitted with an integrated chemical, biological and radiological defense system.
John Paul Jones was selected as the Shock Trial platform for the DDG-51 class. The ship was subjected to a series of close range explosions in order for the Navy to obtain critical information concerning the survivability of the DDG-51 class in a shock environment. The crew prepared the ship for the most demanding and complex surface ship shock trial test in the history of the Navy. The ship has completed four deployments to the Persian Gulf.
In June 2010 she began a ten-month yard period during which her machinery control system and many HM&E systems were upgraded. This was a first in class effort, similar to the CG-47 mid life upgrade undertaken on the Ticonderoga hull.
On 10 June 2011, she anchored off the coast of Malibu, California at the beginning of a three-day celebration called Navy Days designed to thank the sailors and their families for their service to the country.
On 1 November 2015, John Paul Jones participated in Campaign Fierce Sentry Flight Test Operational-02 Event 2 (FTO-02 E2), a complex $230 million U.S. military missile defense system test event conducted at Wake Island and the surrounding ocean areas. During the test, the destroyer shot down a simulated anti-ship cruise missile but failed to intercept a medium-range ballistic missile that was launched from a C-17 transport plane.
On 18 January 2016, John Paul Jones sank the decommissioned guided-missile frigate Reuben James in a test of a new anti-surface warfare variant of the Raytheon Standard Missile 6 (SM-6), becoming the first ship to sink a ship with the new variant of the missile. John Paul Jones fired the missile on the U.S. Pacific Missile Range near Hawaii.
On 3 February 2017, John Paul Jones completed a ballistic missile intercept in a test off the west coast of Hawaii. The test marks the first time that a ballistic missile has been targeted using the Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IIA interceptor.
List of commanding officers
|#||Name||Start of tenure||End of tenure|
|17||CDR Scott Rosetti||21 April 2016|
|16||CDR Matthew Harrison Hall||17 December 2014||21 April 2016|
|15||CDR Andrew James Thomson||21 June 2013||17 December 2014|
|14||CDR Jonathan Christopher Duffy||1 March 2012||21 June 2013|
|13||CDR Christopher Anthony Cegielski||29 April 2010||1 March 2012|
|12||CDR Sam Robert Hancock Jr.||7 November 2008||29 April 2010|
|11||CDR Christopher Kevin Barnes||20 July 2007||7 November 2008|
|10||CDR James Jeffrey Housinger||2 December 2005||20 July 2007|
|9||CDR Andrew Frederick Cully||12 December 2003||2 December 2005|
|8||CDR Charles Randy Hill||10 October 2003||12 December 2003|
|7||CDR Roy Ian Kitchener||28 Feb 2003||10 October 2003|
|6||CDR David Frank Steindl||3 August 2001||28 Feb 2003|
|5||CDR Thomas Francis Carney Jr.||7 December 1999||3 August 2001|
|4||CDR Edward Lewis Brownlee||2 April 1998||7 December 1999|
|3||CDR Joseph Bruce Hamilton||20 August 1996||2 April 1998|
|2||CDR Peter Bernt Opsal||7 December 1994||20 August 1996|
|1||CAPT John Michael Kelly||18 December 1993||7 December 1994|
In popular culture
USS John Paul Jones has been awarded the Navy Battle "E" several times:
- 01-Jan-1994 31-Dec-1994
- 01-Jan-1995 31-Dec-1995
- 01-Jan-1997 31-Dec-1997
- 01-Jan-2000 31-Dec-2000
- 01-Jan-2008 31-Dec-2008
- 01-Jan-2013 31-Dec-2013
- Meritorious Unit Commendation 01-Jan-1999 to 10-Sep-2001, as a part of Enterprise battle group
- Meritorious Unit Commendation 15-Jun-1992 to 27-Jun-1994
The ship was also the first to win SWO of the year award 
- This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register, which, as a U.S. government publication, is in the public domain. The entry can be found here.
- US Navy. USS John Paul Jones History. Archived 10 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- John Paul Jones Remembers 9/11 While Maintaining Vigilance at Sea. Navy.mil. Retrieved on 12 May 2012.
- USS John Paul Jones Command History for 2001 Archived 15 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "DRS Technologies Wins Contract to Continue its Support for Arleigh Burke-Class Guided Missile Destroyers Modernization Program". 4 December 2013.
- "U.S. Navy destroyer docks in Malibu for three-day celebration". Los Angeles Times. 10 June 2011. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "First DDG Modernization Warship Departs on Deployment." Navy News Service, 6 December 2011.
- "From Paint To Littoral Combat Ships, Navy Scrambles To Save Dough."
- "Arleigh Burke class Destroyer USS John Paul Jones completes Aegis testing". 10 August 2013.
- "USS John Paul Jones participates in ballistic missile defense test". Ho'okele – Pearl Harbor – Hickam News. 6 November 2015.
- Shalal, Anfrea (1 November 2015). "U.S. completes complex test of layered missile defense system". Reuters.
- "US Navy destroyer tests new defense system, takes out ballistic missile". Fox News. 10 February 2017.
- Yahoo! Movies – Battleship
- Velazquez, Elena (1 December 2009). "Surface Forces Awards First Ever SWO of the Year Award". Navy News Service.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53).|
- US Navy: USS John Paul Jones Official Website