United Nations General Assembly Resolution 273
|UN General Assembly|
|Date||May 11 1949|
|Code||A/RES/273 (III) (Document)|
|Subject||Admission of Israel to membership in the United Nations|
United Nations General Assembly Resolution 273 was adopted on May 11, 1949 to admit the State of Israel to membership in the United Nations. It was passed following the approval of UN Security Council Resolution 69 on March 4, 1949.
The Resolution passed by the requisite two-thirds majority, the vote in the General Assembly being 37 in favour to 12 against, with 9 abstentions.
Full text of the resolution
Noting that, in the judgment of the Security Council, Israel is a peace-loving State and is able and willing to carry out the obligations contained in the Charter,
Noting that the Security Council has recommended to the general Assembly that it admit Israel to membership in the United Nations,
Noting furthermore the declaration by the State of Israel that it "unreservedly accepts the obligations of the United Nations Charter and undertakes to honour them from the day when it becomes a member of the United Nations",
Recalling its resolutions of 29 November 1947 and 11 December 1948 and taking note of the declarations and explanations made by the representative of the Government of Israel before the Ad Hoc Political Committee in respect of the implementation of the said resolutions,
The General Assembly,
Acting in discharge of its functions under Article 4 of the Charter and rule 125 of its rules of procedure,
1. Decides that Israel is a peace loving State which accepts the obligations contained in the Charter and is able and willing to carry out those obligations;
2. Decides to admit Israel to membership in the United Nations.
- See document A/818.
- See document S/1093.
- See Resolutions adopted by the General Assembly during its second session, pages 131-132.
- See Resolutions adopted by the General Assembly during Part I of its third session, pages 21-25.
- See documents A/AC.24/SR.45 Archived February 24, 2012, at the Wayback Machine-48, 50 and 51.
The result of the voting was the following:
Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Byelorussian SSR, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Czechoslovakia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Iceland, Liberia, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, South Africa, Ukrainian SSR, USSR, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Yugoslavia.
- "Admission of Israel to membership in the United Nations : resolution / adopted by the General Assembly". Dag Hammarskjöld Library.
- Full text of the Resolution, in English and French (pdf)
- Official record of the 207th Plenary Meeting of the General Assembly, 11 May 1949