- 1 Some people I've actually met ...
- 1.1 Politicians and associated people
- 1.2 Public servants
- 1.3 Judges
- 1.4 Journalists
- 1.5 Public policy makers etc
- 1.6 Musicians
- 1.7 Sports people
- 1.8 Entertainment
- 1.9 Other
- 2 Some people I wish I'd met but couldn't or didn't or haven't
- 3 Notes
Some people I've actually met ...
... some of whom I wish I hadn't. This is my chance to drop some names and hope that not too many of them are bruised in the fall:
Politicians and associated people
- Anna Burke • Peter Cleeland • Manfred Cross • Steve Dargavel • Teresa Gambaro • Peter Garrett • Bob Hawke • Billy Hughes's great-granddaughter • Tony Lamb • Michael Lee • Paul Marek • Peter Morris • Ian Sinclair • Peter Steedman
- Lyn Barlin • Martin Bonsey • Dawn Casey • Michael D'Ascenzo • Phil Diak • Paul Dibb • Darcy McGaurr • Prof Michael Pitman • Ray Robinson • George Savvides • Peter Shergold • Richard Smith • Neville Stevens • Mark Sullivan • George Thompson • Phillip Toyne • Ray Trebilco • Richard Woolcott
- David Bowman • Michelle Grattan • Bruce Juddery • Gary Scully • Greg Turnbull • Colin Tyrus, ,  • James Valentine
Public policy makers etc
- Neil Batt • Tim Costello • Mick Dodson • Ross Garnaut's wife • Roger Holdich • Wayne Sievers • Robbie Swan
- Antonio de Almeida • Nicholas Braithwaite • Leonard Dommett • Tobias Foskett • Myer Fredman's son • William "Bill" Hawkey • John Hopkins • Charles Mackerras • Neville Marriner • Joseph Post • Ezra Rachlin • Stanford Robinson
- Claudio Arrau • John Chen • Colin Forbes • Geoffrey Lancaster • Stanislas Niedzielski • Rafael Orozco • Geoffrey Parsons • Ewa Pobłocka • Melvyn Tan • Geoffrey Tozer
- Leigh Brown's mother • Billy Brownless • Jackson Fear • Don Furner • Terry Gathercole • George Gregan • Stephen Hodge's step-mother • Stephen Larkham • Mark McLinden • Ricky Stuart • Carl Valeri's parents
- Nicole Alexander • Basia Bonkowski • Benita Collings • Shane Dundas • Penne Hackforth-Jones's sister • Eddie McGuire • Ray Martin • Michael Pope (producer)
- Milton Black • Pierre Cardin's second cousin (his brother-in-law's wife was my son's godmother) • Archbishop Francis Carroll • Conrad Clark (artist, sculptor; son of Edward Clark and Elisabeth Lutyens, and grandson of Sir Edwin Lutyens) • David Eastman • Terry Gwynn-Jones • Jean Houston • Prof Peter Karmel • Brian Kennedy (gallery director) • Lady Keys • Don Laycock • Malcolm Mackerras • Sir John Overall • Charmaine Solomon • Prof Peter Taylor • Dr Douglas Waterhouse • Charles Waterstreet's mother
- During his lifetime, I swam in the same swimming pool at the Otters Club in Colombo, Sri Lanka, that Sir Arthur C. Clarke regularly used. For the purposes of utterly shameless name-dropping, I count this as aquataneous extra-biological contact.
- Although I never met him face to face, I did have some phone conversations with Sir Walter Scott as part of my job. I thought the last one went well, but he chose to make an official complaint against me. You never can tell. I also spoke to Franco Belgiorno-Nettis a few times by phone but never came face to face with him.
- I may have met Peter Hendy, but I certainly spoke with him by phone more than a few times. Same applies to Gerard Henderson, Grahame Morris and Barry O'Farrell.
Some people I wish I'd met but couldn't or didn't or haven't
- Bruce Chatwin • John Curtin • Albert Einstein • Gerard Hoffnung • Martin Luther King Jr. • T. E. Lawrence • Michael Leunig • Dorothea Mackellar • Nelson Mandela • Nicolas Slonimsky • Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky • Leo Tolstoy • Vincent van Gogh • Giuseppe Verdi • Orson Welles • Gough Whitlam • Oscar Wilde
- In some cases it was just a brief handshake, or even less