The Mind's I
Greetings! You've reached the user page of Kat Walsh, otherwise known as "mindspillage". I am a copyright/technology attorney, a classical bassoonist and violist, free culture and free software advocate, and former chair of the Wikimedia Foundation.
I'm most interested in the issues surrounding free content, free software, free speech, technology policy, law and economics, law and social norms, and how advancing technology can enable the free exchange of knowledge; I'm most knowledgeable about copyright, trademarks, and patents (and am a licensed patent attorney). Right now I am in-house counsel at bitcoin startup Blockstream. I've previously worked at Creative Commons, where I co-authored the 4.0 license suite, and a few other places no one cares about.
I'm currently living with my significant other in Mountain View, California.
Meeting of the Minds
- Talk page: here
- E-mail: email@example.com
- IRC: mindspillage
- Frequently in #wikimedia connect. Private messages are more likely to get my attention than asking in a channel.
- jabber: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @mindspillage
- Facebook: nope. I deleted my account and anyone who claims to be me there isn't.
Some of my Wikimedia hats, past and present:
- I was a member of the Board of Trustees from 2006-2013.
- I am currently on the Advisory Board, where occasionally I even give advice.
- I am an administrator here; I don't tend to use the tools much, but sometimes they come in handy.
- I am a former member of the Arbitration Committee, from October 2005 until December 2006 (when I resigned after being appointed to the Board).
- I used to handle emails that come in to Wikimedia. But not in a long time. You might still get template responses I wrote, though.
- I do the odd bit of Track II diplomacy, on a completely informal basis, as I have time and energy.
Pieces of mind
Occasionally I like to blather on about Wikipedia rather than do anything constructive...
I follow the one-revert rule as well as the policy trifecta (shown neatly in a little box to the side, as arranged by its originator, Seth Ilys). I'm a strong believer in the simplified ruleset as a guide to almost any sticky situation. And I'm a strong believer in consensus and the supremacy and necessity of good judgment, over all.
Kept in mind
In my write mind
Started or rewritten: Aaron Jay Kernis / Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do / Albert Szirmai / Alexandre Tansman / Alvin Etler / Amanda Borden / André Jolivet / Bart Conner / Andrey Rimsky-Korsakov / Bassoon sonata / Cat and Girl / Closely related key / Come Out / Concert band / Concerto in E-flat (Dumbarton Oaks) / Daniel Dorff / Daniel Read / David Darling / David Del Tredici / De Leon Springs State Park / Doctor Fun / Double reed / Eugène Bozza / Extensional definition / Francisco Mignone / Frederick Fennell / Gordon Jacob / Hugo Wolf / Intensional definition / Jan DeGaetani / Jean Françaix / John Barnes Chance / John Crowe Ransom / Judith LeClair / Judith Sargent Murray / Jurriaan Andriessen / Keiko Abe / Lexical definition / Lili Boulanger / Luigi Dallapiccola / Madeleine Dring / Metastasis / Michala Petri / Miller Puckette / Modulation / Multiphonic / Ostensive definition / Paul Redmond Michel / Persuasive definition / Precising definition / Rebecca Helferich Clarke / Ruth Gipps / Squonk Opera / Stipulative definition / Susan Nigro / Terry Riley / Theon of Smyrna / Theoretical definition / The Stone Guest / Vampire number / Vincent Persichetti / Vittorio Giannini / Vocalise / William Bergsma / Willson Osborne / meta:How to win an argument / meta:Polls are evil
Other significant contributions: Bassoon / Contrabassoon / Daniel Gorenstein / Gadsby / Handstand / Iannis Xenakis / L. Neil Smith / List of web comics / National Institutes of Health / "Old Folks at Home" / Quintet / Robert M. Pirsig / Stetson University / Steve Reich / The Mind's I / The Rite of Spring / Thomas Hastings / Wind quintet / Zarzuela
Of sound mind
You can hear me in these recordings:
This page is not protected: you can edit it. Particularly if you want to fix typos and links, or if you feel inclined to exercise your mad layout skills, or maybe even give a testimonial. (Geogre asked for sonnets, which was a stroke of genius; alas, I am not so brazen as to steal the idea.) I don't own this page. (As it happens, there are pages elsewhere I do own, and I leave them dormant to work on Wikipedia instead.) I will exercise final judgment on which changes I keep, of course... Random acts of poetry encouraged!
- My mind, spillage.
- My mind, wandering.
- Constance, Dale, Fern--
- women I will never know.
- Poetry, the art form I will never be good at.
- func(talk) 19:09, 15 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- Mindspillage. The spillage of the mind.
- This is the creed of the Wikipedian.
- May our minds spring forth with our most cherished knowledge
- And may I share the bounty of my wisdom to slake the thirst of curiosity among the people
- Join our community, our world.
- We are Wikipedians. May the mind of Wikipedia spill forth with bounty.
- Welcome to Wikipedia. May you spring forth and prosper!
sɪzlæk [ +t, +c, +m ] 09:46, August 11, 2005 (UTC)
- A haiku:
- Mindspillage, admin.
- Mindspillage, arbitrator.
- A spill of a mind.
- Ral315 WS 08:35, 15 October 2005 (UTC)
Mindspillage - a grand canonical ensemble of thoughts. May the partition functions unite! --HappyCamper 01:01, 21 October 2005 (UTC)
- There was a young lady Mindspillage,
- Who from Wikip'dia did pillage
- All the things that one can
- This poem don't scan.
- She lives in the Wikian village!
- [[Sam Korn]] 21:50, 15 November 2005 (UTC)
Here's a little poem (Sung, more or less, to the tune of '"The Shadow of Your Smile"), my holiday gift to you.
- The spillage of your mind I find refined
- The hat upon your head is black not red
- The head beneath your hat
- Spills forth the thoughts of Kat
- Never to be maligned
- The spillage of your mind
Paul August ☎ 20:28, 29 December 2005 (UTC)
Here's a contra-haiku for you:
- One place to hear a
- contrabassoon contribute:
- Brahms' First Symphony
- David Brooks
Another haiku, poles apart from David's above (at least it's at the opposite end of the compass), and I think "Rite" in this usage counts as a kigo:
- Aerial, alone,
- opening Stravinsky's Rite
- your instrument soars.
- मिस्ट्रेस ऑफ़ देबौचेरी (That's Mindspillage in Devanagari) --Nearly Headless Nick 10:20, 6 June 2006 (UTC)
- 头脑溢出 -- that's Mindspillage in Chinese! anthony[cfc]
- Mensfvndens. That's Spillingmind in Latin! (Hey, it's close!) CarrotMan 08:33, 8 August 2007 (UTC)
Ink spilt for a spilled mind... they pondered the possibilities. --wpktsfs (talk) 04:21, 15 June 2007 (UTC)
- Heya, Mindspillage
- Always knew you played Bassoon
- But, uh... viola?
- --Clorox (diskussion) 00:59, 15 July 2008 (UTC)