Vanguard College Preparatory School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Vanguard College Preparatory School|
|2517 Mt. Carmel
Waco, Texas 76710
|Average class size||3–26|
|Student to teacher ratio||1:9|
|Campus||8.5 acres (34,000 m2)|
Blue, Green, and White
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Colleges and Schools|
Vanguard College Preparatory School, founded in 1973, is a private, independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school located in Waco, Texas, United States, for students in grades 7-12. Enrollment, as of the 2015-2015 academic year, was 222, with 35 on the teaching faculty.
The campus consists of 8.5 acres (34,000 m2) and the school is housed in several buildings, including a large building constructed as part of the Mt. Carmel Center by Davidian Seventh Day Adventists when they moved to Waco in 1935. A science and math building was completed in 1984, two gymnasiums were completed in 1980 and enlarged as a multi-purpose facility in 1992, and a performing arts center was completed in 1987. A new classroom building opened for use in the fall of 2000 and a new visual arts building and video studio opened in 2004. Administrative offices were renovated in 2005 and the gymnasium complex was renovated in 2006. State of the art computer labs are accessible to students, and the entire campus has Wi-Fi. Art, drama, music, publications, service organizations, debate, Knowledge Master, Mock Trial and athletics are among their extracurricular options. The 2010 and 2011 editions of Liquid Paper, Vanguard's literary magazine, received a superior rating from the National Council of Teachers of English. The 2011 edition, Circadian, received first place from the American Scholastic Press Association.
Vanguard has over 42 team state titles. Students can play multiple sports. 2013-2014 -2015Varsity Boys Basketball had the best season in school history. Varsity Golf team has won 11 consecutive state championships. Varsity Teams - Football, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Golf, Volleyball, Tennis, Track, Cross Country, Cheerleading
National Merit Commended Scholars and Semifinalist
Vanguard has had over 41 National Merit Finalist in the past 17 years 2009-2015 classes of a combined 155 graduates have received $19.5 million in academic college scholarships.
- National Association of Independent Schools
- Southern Association of Independent Schools
- Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools
- Texas Association of Non-Public Schools
- The College Board
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of College Admission Counseling
- Texas Association of College Admission Counseling
- Texas Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Texas Counseling Association
- Country musician Pat Green
- "Vanguard to Host First Homecoming". Waco, Tx. September 25, 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "NCTE Program to Recognize" (PDF). National Council of Teachers of English.
- "Annual Contest/Review for Scholastic Yearbooks, Magazines and Newspapers". American Scholastic Press Association.