This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Vicci Martinez at the 2012 Gracie Awards at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles, CA 05/22/2012
|Born||September 21, 1984|
|Origin||Tacoma, Washington, United States|
|Instruments||Vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, percussion|
|Years active||2000 – present|
|Associated acts||CeeLo Green, Beverly McClellan, Javier Colon, Dia Frampton, Jamar Rogers, Casey Weston|
Vicci Martinez (born September 21, 1984) is an American singer/songwriter and actress from Tacoma, Washington. She came in joint third on NBC's singing competition series The Voice in 2011. She released her 2012 album with Republic Records (Universal Music Group), but self-released her 2015 album.
Biography and career
This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (August 2018)
Martinez, the daughter of a Mexican father employed as a plumber, and a mother employed as an ESL teacher, graduated from Stadium High School in Tacoma, Washington. She first took the stage at the age of 16. Firmly grounded in the tradition of acoustic-rock, Vicci Martinez writes and performs music that is personal and often autobiographical. She has received critical acclaim for her live performances.
After the 2005 release of her album, On My Way, Martinez went on tour and released a full-length concert DVD and documentary in 2006 titled Vicci Martinez Live. The DVD, produced by Joel Veatch and Flying Spot, received positive press attention. Vicci also released a live CD that had been recorded at Jazzbones, a musical venue in Tacoma, Washington.
Martinez won the regional tryouts for the first season of American Idol, but declined her invitation to the second round on the grounds that, in her opinion, the contract was too restrictive. She later appeared on CBS's 2003 season of Star Search.
In 2011, Martinez competed on the U.S. talent show The Voice. Billboard magazine praised her diverse performance abilities saying "she gives every song a mature delivery and she appears comfortable in whatever skin she has chosen to adopt on a given night. With a drum corps alongside her and a backstory about her late father to warm the heart, she tore through Florence and the Machine's Dog Days Are Over with alacrity; the closing performance Tuesday was also the night's best performance." Martinez came in first place on judge CeeLo Green's team and represented him in the final round. She finished third overall.
According to her Voice coach, CeeLo Green, after her appearance on the show in 2011, Martinez signed a record deal. Her EP, Come Along, was released on May 1, 2012, followed by her Universal Republic album "Vicci" on June 19 of the same year.
Her 2012 chart hit, Come Along, a cover of a 2001 single from Swedish recording act Titiyo, featured Cee Lo Green. Though the song was a top 20 hit throughout Central Europe, it was not released in the U.S. or U.K.
On May 1, 2015, Martinez self-released her album, I Am Vicci Martinez.
In 2018, Martinez played inmate Daddy on series 6 of the Netflix series Orange Is the New Black.
- 2000: VMB
- 2003: Sleep to Dream
- 2005: On My Way
- 2006: Vicci Martinez Live
- 2007: I Could Be a Boxer
- 2009: From the Outside In
- 2010: I Love You in the Morning
- 2011: Live From Jazzbones
- 2012: Vicci (Universal Republic)
- 2015: I Am Vicci
- 2012: Come Along (Universal Republic)
- 2015: I Am
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Jolene"||2011||76||—||Non-album releases from The Voice|
|"Dog Days Are Over"||68||—|
|"Love Is a Battlefield" (featuring CeeLo Green)||102||—|
|"Afraid to Sleep"||78||26|
|"Come Along" (featuring Cee Lo Green)||2012||—||—||Vicci|
|"I Can Love"||2013||—||—|
|"Otra Cancion"||2014||—||—||I Am Vicci|
|2018–present||Orange Is the New Black||Daddy||Recurring role|
- "Vicci Martinez, December 29th, 2007, The Triple Door, Seattle, Washington". rivetingriffs.com. Riveting Riffs Ltd. December 29, 2007. Archived from the original on 2008-09-26. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- Sailor, Craig (June 22, 2011). "Whatever happens on The Voice, Vicci Martinez feels like a winner". The News Tribune.
- "'The Voice': Vicci Martinez Does Florence & the Machine Proud, Plus 7 More Highlights". billboard.com. Billboard. June 22, 2011.
- Ricky. "Mr". Twitter.
- Goldberg, Lesley (May 6, 2011). "An interview with Vicci Martinez - AfterEllen". AfterEllen.com. Evolve Media. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Cooper, Mariah (July 31, 2018). "'Orange is the New Black' stars Vicci Martinez and Emily Tarver are dating". Washington Blade. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Garner, Glenn (August 1, 2018). "These 'OITNB' Actresses Found Love Outside of Litchfield". Out. Here Media. Retrieved August 3, 2018.