Black with the New York Mets in 2013
|New Jersey Jackals – No. 36|
May 23, 1988 |
|July 25, 2013, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||2.96|
Victor Laurence Black (born May 23, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the New Jersey Jackals of the Can-Am League. He has previously played for the Pittsburgh Pirates and the New York Mets of Major League Baseball (MLB).
Black is a right-handed pitcher, weighs 205 lbs, and is 6 ft 4 in. He attended Dallas Baptist University and is the highest drafted player in the University's history. During his last season at Dallas Baptist, Black went 6-4 with a 4.16 ERA and 99 strikeouts in 88⅔ innings.
Black started the 2010 season with the West Virginia Power, but only pitched 4 2/3 innings, dealing with shoulder and bicep injuries. He split the 2011 season between West Virginia and the Bradenton Marauders. He spent the 2012 season with the Altoona Curve of the Double A Eastern League. In November 2012, the Pirates added Black to the 40 man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.
In 2013, Black pitched for the Indianapolis Indians of the Class AAA International League, and was named to the All-Star Game. The Pirates promoted Black to the major leagues, and he debuted with the Pirates on July 25. Black finished the 2013 season with the Pirates with a 4.50 ERA in 3 games in 4 innings pitched with a 2.000 WHIP with 3 strikeouts while giving up 6 hits, 2 earned runs, and 2 walks.
New York Mets
The Pirates sent Black to the New York Mets on August 29, 2013, as the player to be named later in the trade that sent Dilson Herrera to the Mets in exchange for John Buck and Marlon Byrd. He was called up on September 1. On September 24, Black earned his first major league save in a 4-2 win against the Cincinnati Reds.
With the Mets, Black finished the 2013 season with a 3-0 record, 3.46 ERA in 15 games in 13 innings pitched with a 1.154 WHIP with one save and 12 strikeouts while giving up 11 hits, 5 earned runs, and 4 walks.
Black started the year with the Las Vegas 51s. He was placed on the DL with the 51s on April 7 due to a pinched nerve on the right side of his neck. He was later activated off the DL. On May 24, Black was called up to join the Mets as the 26th player during a doubleheader against the Arizona Diamondbacks. On August 24, Black went on the DL due to a herniated disk in his neck. His spot on the roster was replaced by Daisuke Matsuzaka who was coming off the DL himself. He came off the DL on September 8. It was announced on September 15 that Black was shut down for about five to six days due to a shoulder strain. On September 23, Black was shut down for the rest of season.
Black finished the season with a 2-3 record, 2.60 ERA in 41 games in 34.2 innings pitched with a 1.298 WHIP with 32 strikeouts while giving up 26 hits, 12 runs (10 of them earned), and 19 walks.
Black rehabbed the entire season in the minors with the St. Lucie Mets, Binghamton Mets and the Las Vegas 51s. On September 1, he was outrighted off the 40-man roster to the 51s. On November 7, Black elected free agency. In the minors with the three affiliates, he compiled a 1-6 record, 5.94 ERA in 41 games in 36.1 innings pitched with a 1.95 WHIP with 34 strikeouts and 3 saves while giving up 41 hits, 25 runs (24 of them earned), and 30 walks.
Sussex County Miners
San Francisco Giants
The San Francisco Giants signed Black to a minor league contract on May 5, 2017.  He elected free agency on November 6, 2017.
New Jersey Jackals
- Cipriano, Guy (June 14, 2006). "Black's fastball catches eye of Pirates' brass". Centre Daily Times.
- Cipriano, Guy (July 1, 2009). "Top picks hit mound for first time as Spikes stumble". Centre Daily Times. Retrieved July 4, 2009.[dead link]
- "Pirates set 40-man roster". November 20, 2012.
- "Indianapolis Sports - Indianapolis Star - indystar.com". Indianapolis Star. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Bernie Pleskoff: Pittsburgh Pirates prospect Vic Black's powerful arm fits well in the bullpen | pirates.com: News". Pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- "Mets get prospect Black to complete Bucs trade | mets.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. August 29, 2013. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- Cody Derespina (August 29, 2013). "Vic Black to go to Mets in Marlon Byrd deal". Newsday.com. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- "Tim Byrdak, Zach Lutz and Vic Black promoted to the Mets". SNY. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Vic Black gets his first big-league save". SNY. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Vic Black to DL with Triple-A Vegas". SNY. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Vic Black will join the Mets for Sunday's double-header". SNY. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Mets place Black on DL, activate Matsuzaka". SNY. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Vic Black activated from disabled list". SNY. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Black shut down for five to six days". SNY. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Vic Black will not pitch again this season". SNY. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- Scot Cohen (September 1, 2015). "Mets outright Vic Black off 40-man roster". Amazin' Avenue. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- Michael McCarty (November 7, 2015). "Mets relief pitcher Vic Black elects free agency". Amazin' Avenue. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "MINERS SIGN FORMER NY MET VIC BLACK - Sussex County Miners". April 14, 2017.
- "Giants' Vic Black: Signs minor-league contract".