|Developer(s)||Michel Gutierrez (mig)|
Video DownloadHelper is an extension for the Firefox web browser and Chrome web browser. It allows the user to download videos from sites that stream videos through HTTP. The extension was developed by Michel Gutierrez.
As of November 2017[update], Video DownloadHelper is the third most popular Firefox extension after Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin. The software is financed through ads on the developer's website, donations, and associated software sales, although newer versions of the companion app places a watermark that requires paying for removing it.
In spring 2015, version 5 was developed. It is a complete rewrite. In contrast to previous versions, which had been based on XUL, the extension now is based on the new Firefox Addon SDK.
On November 14, 2017 Firefox 57 was released which ceased support for extensions based on XUL or the Add-ons SDK. Version 7 of the Firefox extension was a rewrite developed to use the newer WebExtensions API in anticipation of this change.
Eric Griffith of PC Magazine named it one of the best Firefox extensions of 2012. Erez Zukerman of PC World rated it 4/5 stars and called it "a valuable tool". TechRadar rated it 5/5 stars and wrote, "Anyone who wants to watch videos, not only online, but also on the train, in the car or on the plane, is very well served with Video DownloadHelper."
- Video DownloadHelper (December 14, 2017). "Video DownloadHelper Version History". Mozilla. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- Video DownloadHelper (December 20, 2016). "Video DownloadHelper - Chrome Web Store". Google. Retrieved November 17, 2017.
- "Firefox add-ons sorted by most users". Mozilla Foundation. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- Gobry, Pascal-Emmanuel (2011-03-30). "This One Man Startup's App Has 85 Million Downloads And Is Wildly Profitable". Business Insider. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Upcoming Changes in Compatibility Features". Mozilla Add-ons Blog. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- "Update rettet beliebte Firefox-Erweiterung: Video Downloader nun mit Quantum kompatibel" (in German). Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- Griffith, Eric (2012-10-16). "The Best Firefox Extensions and Add-Ons of 2012". PC Magazine. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- Zukerman, Erez (2012-01-31). "Buffering Too Slow? Watch Videos When They're Complete With Video DownloadHelper". PC World. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Video DownloadHelper". TechRadar. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
|This Web-software-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|