List of Firefox extensions
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origins and lineage|
This is a list of notable Firefox extensions, or software add-ons designed for Mozilla Firefox-based web browsers. Many Firefox extensions work in the SeaMonkey web browser as well as the Pale Moon web browser and the Thunderbird e-mail client.
- ChatZilla – a full-fledged Internet Relay Chat client that works inside Firefox.
- DOM Inspector – for web developers. It allows them to inspect the Document Object Model tree of any page.
- Forecastfox Weather – displays a summary of weather forecast from AccuWeather.
- LibX – library catalogues.
- StumbleUpon – allows users to encounter random sites based upon the rating given by stumblers and their interests.
- WiseStamp – social profiles and apps for emails
- Google Earth – provides full integration of Google Earth into the browser.
- Google Toolbar – provides features related to Google Search as a toolbar.
- Universal Edit Button – notifies user when a web page contains editable content.
- FlashGot – provides download features and integration with a variety of external download managers.
- FoxyTunes – controls external media players.
- Automatik Text Reader – a multi-language text-to-speech extension.
- Cooliris – a tool for browsing photos and videos from the web or a desktop.
- Flashblock – until 2013, the tool used to prevent downloaded Flash content from displaying unless explicitly started (clicked) or whitelisted.
- Hyperwords – allows users to select text and perform rich commands, such as instant Wikipedia look-ups, in-page translations, conversions, etc.
- Lightbeam – displays third party tracking cookies placed on the user's computer while visiting various websites with graph.
- Pentadactyl and Vimperator – make Firefox feel and behave like the Vim text editor.
- Turn Off the Lights – is used to obscure or mask content other than a running video.
- Zotero – enables users to collect, manage, and cite research from all types of sources from the browser.
- ScrapBook – adds enhanced scrapbooking, page saving, bookmarking, and notetaking functionality.
- Xmarks Sync – adds online bookmark and password synchronization, as well as bookmark tagging and suggested sites.
- Greasemonkey – allows users to install user scripts that modify specific web pages
- iMacros – a macro recorder for the Firefox web browser.
- Stylish – allows the user to install custom CSS that can modify specific web pages and XUL application interfaces.
- DownThemAll! – a download manager and accelerator.
- Video DownloadHelper – used to download videos from sites like YouTube or Metacafe.
- Morning Coffee – a news displayer.
- Operator – parses microformats.
- Sage – a lightweight feed reader extension.
- Tong Wen Tang – converts Chinese-language web pages between Traditional and Simplified Chinese characters.
Privacy and security
- Adblock – blocking ads and filtering content via a paired blacklist and whitelist.
- Adblock Plus – blocking ads and filtering content via a paired blacklist and whitelist.
- Decentraleyes – serves common content delivery networks and web libraries locally.
- Disconnect, DoNotTrackMe, and Ghostery – advertisement networks and spy cookies blocking; forks of AdBlock Plus
- HTTPS Everywhere – automatically switches to HTTP Secure whenever possible.
- LastPass, 1Password, Bitwarden – password management, portability and security.
- Privacy Badger – blocks canvas fingerprinting and blocks advertisements and tracking cookies that do not respect the Do Not Track setting in a user's web browser.
- uBlock Origin – blocking ads and filtering content via a paired blacklist and whitelist.
Some extensions mentioned in other categories at this page (such as AdBlock/AdBlock Plus) will also increase security. Also, Tor, Torbutton, and Torlauncher aren't mentioned as they are not simply extensions for Firefox but instead only work on modified Firefox versions Besides these add-ons, changing settings in Firefox Preferences and in about:config also will help with privacy and security.
- Showcase – shows tabs as thumbnails, to preview, manage and search across them.
- Tab Mix Plus – provides tabbed browsing enhancements.
Website development tools
- Alexa Toolbar – provides access to SEO data.
- ColorZilla – adds an eye dropper (color reader), color palettes, page zooming, and displays element information.
- FireFTP – is a cross-platform FTP client which provides access to FTP servers.
- Web Developer – adds a menu and a toolbar to the browser with various web developer tools.
- FireTune – introduced in 2005 which aimed at optimizing the speed of the browser.
- SurfSafe – detects false or misleadingly used images.