Wechsler Memory Scale
|Wechsler Memory Scale|
The Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS) is a neuropsychological test designed to measure different memory functions in a person. Anyone ages 16 to 90 is eligible to take this test. The current version is the fourth edition (WMS-IV) which was published in 2009 and which was designed to be used with the WAIS-IV. WMS-IV is made up of seven subtests: Spatial Addition, Symbol Span, Design Memory, General Cognitive Screener, Logical Memory(I & II), Verbal Paired Associates(I & II), and Visual Reproduction(I & II). A person's performance is reported as five Index Scores: Auditory Memory, Visual Memory, Visual Working Memory, Immediate Memory, and Delayed Memory.
The WMS-IV also incorporates an optional cognitive exam (Brief Cognitive Status Exam) that helps to assess global cognitive functioning in people with suspected memory deficits or those who have been diagnosed with a various neural, psychiatric and/or developmental disorders. This may include conditions such as dementias or mild learning difficulties.
There is clear evidence that the WMS differentiates clinical groups (such as those with dementias or neurological disorders) from those with normal memory functioning and that the primary index scores can distinguish among the memory-impaired clinical groups.
The original WMS was published by Wechsler in 1945 and revised in 1987, 1997, and again in 2009.
The WMS-III was normed with the WAIS-III in the United States. This resulted in a representative normative sample of 1,250 adults (between the ages of 16 and 90) who completed both scales.
- Hunsley, J., and C. M. Lee. Introduction to clinical psychology: An evidence-based approach. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2010. Print.
- Lezak, Muriel D.; Howieson, Diane B.; Bigler, Erin D.; Tranel, Daniel (2012). Neuropsychological Assessment (Fifth ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-539552-5. Retrieved 17 June 2014. Lay summary – Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society (17 June 2014).
- Strauss, Esther; Sherman, Elizabeth M.; Spreen, Otfried (2006). A Compendium of Neuropsychological Tests: Administration, Norms, and Commentary. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-515957-8. Retrieved 14 July 2013.
- Wechsler Memory Scale – Fourth Edition (WMS-IV) at publisher
- Wechsler Memory Scale–III Abbreviated at publisher