Westminster Seminary California
|Westminster Seminary California|
|School type||Private, graduate, theological seminary|
Westminster Seminary California is a Reformed and Presbyterian Christian graduate educational institution located 25 miles north of San Diego, California, United States, in Escondido. It was initially a branch campus of Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia until 1982 when it became fully independent. It currently has thirteen full-time faculty members and enrolls approximately 155 full-time students.
History and ecclesiastical affiliation
Westminster Seminary California was founded in 1979 and welcomed its first students in the fall of 1980. It is a multi-denominational seminary in the Presbyterian and Reformed tradition, with close relationships with several denominations, including the Presbyterian Church in America, Orthodox Presbyterian Church, United Reformed Churches in North America and Korean-American Presbyterian Church.
The WSC campus also hosts the Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies, which provides theological training for the Association of Reformed Baptist Churches of America.
Escondido Orthodox Presbyterian Church
The Escondido Orthodox Presbyterian Church worships in the WSC Chapel. The congregation was founded in 2002 and has about 100 members. A number of members of the faculty are members of the congregation. The Pastor is Zake Keele, a Westminster graduate.
Academics and accreditation
Westminster Seminary California is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges  and was first accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada in 1997. The seminary currently offers a Master of Arts degree in Biblical Studies, Historical Theology, and Theological Studies and a Master of Divinity degree.
Past and present notable faculty members include:
- S. M. Baugh
- R. Scott Clark
- Edmund Clowney
- John Frame
- W. Robert Godfrey
- D. G. Hart
- Michael Horton
- Meredith Kline
- H. David Schuringa
- David M. VanDrunen
- "ATS Member Directory". Association of Theological Schools. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Institute of Reformed Baptist Studies". Westminster Seminary California. Retrieved 4 February 2012.
- Melton, J. Gordon (2003). Encyclopedia of American Religions. Gale. p. 558. ISBN 0-7876-6384-0.
- Cho, Timothy Isaiah (1 May 2019). "It's time for Christians to confront white supremacy in our churches". Religion News Service. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- Allen, Bob (3 May 2019). "Weaponized Calvinism? Accused synagogue shooter spouted both racist conspiracy theories and the doctrines of grace". Baptist News Global. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- Wilkins, John. "Accused synagogue shooter's church wrestling with aftermath". San Diego Times-Union. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Where Are They Now? Zach Keele". Westminster Seminary. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "WASC Member Directory". Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- Sandlin, Andrew (2011). The Escondido Theology: A Reformed Response to Two Kingdom Theology.