Westtown Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania
Location of Pennsylvania in the United States
|• Total||8.74 sq mi (22.63 km2)|
|• Land||8.66 sq mi (22.44 km2)|
|• Water||0.07 sq mi (0.19 km2)|
|Elevation||269 ft (82 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,254.04/sq mi (484.20/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 8.8 square miles (23 km2), of which 8.7 square miles (23 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2), or 0.23%, is water.
At the 2010 census, the township was 89.4% non-Hispanic White, 3.8% Black or African American, 0.1% Native American, 3.2% Asian, 0.1% Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, and 1.3% were two or more races. 2.4% of the population were of Hispanic or Latino ancestry .
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,352 people, 3,705 households, and 2,949 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,185.5 people per square mile (457.8/km2). There were 3,795 housing units at an average density of 434.6/sq mi (167.8/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 93.97% White, 2.59% African American, 0.07% Native American, 2.42% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.37% from other races, and 0.57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.13% of the population.
There were 3,705 households, out of which 38.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 70.6% were married couples living together, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.4% were non-families. 16.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 4.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the township the population was spread out, with 26.9% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 28.9% from 25 to 44, 28.2% from 45 to 64, and 9.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 96.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $85,049, and the median income for a family was $96,318. Males had a median income of $66,675 versus $43,482 for females. The per capita income for the township was $36,894. About 2.1% of families and 3.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.7% of those under age 18 and 3.5% of those age 65 or over.
Westtown Township is represented by State Representative, Carolyn Comitta – 156th District and State Senator, Tom Killion – 9th District. In the U.S. House of Representatives, Representative Chrissy Houlahan, 6th District (as of 2019) and U.S. Senators Pat Toomey and Bob Casey Jr. (as of 2019).
Westtown Township is governed by a three(3) member Board of Supervisors. Under the supervision of the Board the township has many arms of government, including the Township's Planning Commission, Historical Commission, Parks & Recreation Commission, and the Zoning Hearing Board.
Township Board of Supervisors members 2020:
- Richard Pomerantz, Chair
- Carol R. DeWolf, Vice Chair
- Scott Yaw, Police Commissioner
- VACANT - Township Manager
West Chester Area School District serves the township. Elementary schools serving sections include Penn Wood, Sarah Starkweather, Westtown-Thornbury, and Glen Acres. Almost all residents are zoned to Stetson Middle School and West Chester Rustin High School, while the far northern portion of the township is zoned to Fugett Middle School and West Chester East High School.
Other schools in the township include Westtown School, an independent school for grades pre-K through 12; the St. Maximilian Kolbe Parish School, and the Ss. Simon and Jude Parish School, Catholic schools for grades pre-K through 8; and the Concept School, a private school for grades 5 through 12.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "DVRPC > Site Search". Archived from the original on August 12, 2017. Retrieved January 31, 2014.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "West Chester Area Council of Governments Map." On the website of West Goshen Township. Retrieved on September 26, 2018.
- "School Boundary Adjustment Draft SK8C - Current Boundaries with Zones of Change" (Elementary). West Chester Area School District. Retrieved on September 26, 2018.
- "School Boundary Adjustment Draft SK8C - Current Boundaries with Zones of Change" (Secondary). West Chester Area School District. Retrieved on September 26, 2018.
- "Home". St. Maximilian Kolbe School. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
School Address St. Maximilian Kolbe School 300 Daly Drive West Chester, PA 19382
- "Home". SS. Simon and Jude School. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
Saints Simon and Jude School 6 Cavanaugh Court West Chester, PA 19382- Compare with the township map
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Westtown Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania.|