Wikipedia:Meetup/Frederick County History
There will be a Frederick County, Maryland history and geography themed Edit-A-Thon located at the C. Burr Artz Library on June 14th, 2014. Anyone interested in the rich history of Frederick County is welcome to come. From 11:00 to 12:00 I will be giving an introduction to Wikipedia and an introduction to Frederick history presentation and from 12:00 to 4:00 PM we will be researching and editing articles.
This meetup is not endorsed by Frederick County Public libraries. Please see Frederick County Public Library's policy regarding meeting rooms for more details.
- Date: Saturday, June 14, 2014 from 11 AM to 4 PM. If you can't join us for the entire edit-a-thon, no problem! Come for as long or little as you like.
- Venue: C. Burr Artz Public Library 110 East Patrick Street Frederick, MD 21701.
- Find us at: 11:00 to 12:00 Trust Conference Room. 12:00 to 4:00 PM Maryland Conference Room.
- Cost: Free
- Participants: This event is open to anyone, especially those with an interest in or some knowledge in Frederick County history. You don't need any Wikipedia editing experience to participate. We'll be having a brief orientation at the start of the edit-a-thon and tutoring will be provided for Wikipedia newcomers throughout the event.
- RSVP by signing your username below! If you are unfamiliar with Wikipedia, you might try this training module which will help explain a lot of things, including how to add your signature.
- What to Bring: Attendees should bring their own laptops and power cords. I will do what I can to provide a few additional laptops, but I can't guarantee I will have spares.
Anyone interested in carpooling should see the talk page.
- Zell Faze (talk) 18:36, 6 April 2014 (UTC)
- -- econterms (talk) 18:38, 9 June 2014 (UTC) Will ask others for a lift from DC. I invited Frederick-area folk.
- Geraldshields11 (talk) 23:18, 11 June 2014 (UTC) but after 12 noon
- Duckduckstop (talk) 00:45, 12 June 2014 (UTC) have car with 4 seats.
- Sehovde (talk)
- Gil72 (talk) 16:55, 14 June 2014 (UTC)
- CongoHelper (talk) 16:57, 14 June 2014 (UTC)
- Djembayz (talk) 03:32, 9 April 2014 (UTC) (Remotely-- this tire repair shop has wifi ... :)
- Harej (talk) 00:07, 11 April 2014 (UTC)
- Kirill [talk] 17:25, 4 May 2014 (UTC)
If you cannot make it to our event in Frederick, but would still like to participate, you are invited to do so remotely! Please add your name to the participant list below and include your contributions in the #Results section.
Suggested Articles & Topics
Below are a list of articles and topics that have put together as ideas for things to work on during the Edit-a-thon. If you have something else you'd like to work on then please do so! This list is for people who don't know what they want to improve.
List still being compiled.
- Spring Ridge, Maryland
- Monocacy, Maryland
- Utica, Maryland
- John Creeger
- Everedy Bottle Capper Company?
- Frederick Seamless Hosiery Company?
- OxFibre Brush Company (which apparently also had a presence in Benson Junction, Florida)
Wikiprojects are communities of editors organizing strategic editing of curated topics on Wikipedia. The following may be interesting for those planning to attend:
- 14th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry monument
- c:Category:Loys Station Covered Bridge add 2 Highsmith photos
- c:Frederick County History editathon 2014 add event photos here
- National Museum of Civil War Medicine -- pix and infobox and fixed dead links
- Landon House -- added wikilinks
- Walkersville Southern Railroad revised summary length data to reflect current status ...
- WSRR Museum added museum template at bottom, added categories,added to List of museums in Maryland
- Woodsboro, Maryland -- added fact
- Created Monocacy, Maryland
- Created Utica, Maryland (new)
- Registered two new Wikipedians!