The Wiki NYC board held an all day strategy session and board retreat on July 1, 2017. The meeting was private for the board and their invited guests.
- Food: There will be coffee and bagels at 10:00 AM. A light lunch will be available (TBD).
- Strategic planning facilitator
Chuck Bell is a programs director at Consumers Union, the policy and action division of Consumer Reports. He also serves on the board of Nonprofit Quarterly and has experience assisting nonprofit organizations with their governance. Chuck will be joining for part of our meeting to facilitate conversation about Wiki NYC's strategic plan. As preparation, please read the following two articles about planning.
WM NYC board members
Action Commitments blackboard notes
Facilitating while brainstorming mission and strategic plan
Organizing post it notes while brainstorming
Anyone add items here!
Must do items for discussion
Wikimedia Foundation expects Wiki NYC to produce a "mission statement", a "strategic plan", and an "annual plan". Some nonprofit organizations produce these with the help of a facilitator. Wiki NYC needs to produce these at the next board meeting. Possibly this can happen with a professional for up to 4 hours of the meeting. Possibly Wiki NYC’s board can make simpler drafts of these things to start.
- Strategic Plan also as a deliverable, posted on Wiki and linked to in the APG. Also a must do item. We will need to decide if this plan is to cover 3 years, 5 years, or some other period.
- Annual Plan as a deliverable, posted to Wiki and linked to in our 2017-18 APG application. This is the second time we have been asked in the APG process to produce an annual plan, and we promised to do so, therefore this is a must do item. I started a draft here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ok_3gN6nPnUFmmCd3mRv7u-Y0451tb_sT5M80uWf-PM/edit?usp=sharing
- 2017-18 Budget This needs to be modified with item cuts/decreases to meet the WMF approved APG budget.
- SAPG Committee recommendations As posted here: m:Grants talk:Simple/Applications/Wikimedia New York City/2017-2018#Simple Annual Plan Grants Committee recommendation
- Succession planning: Richard is stepping down as president. He has offered to remain to assist with some executive duties if asked, and possibly even be a volunteer executive director. By the next board election someone else will need to take a president’s role. It is time to identify potential replacements.
- Reporting Deadline: July 30 is the deadline for Wiki NYC APG final report.
Other issues which are perhaps easier and less time consuming
- Mission Statement also as a deliverable, posted on Wiki. Not specifically called for in the APG, but strongly suggested as needed. Only need to review existing mission statement and expand/modify if necessary. Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/About#Mission
- Program reports from any board member
- Confirm best practices for presenting and reporting a Wiki NYC event
- Review of friendly space policy - what to do when you hear a complaint
- Staff review - Sherry
- Staff review - Joelle
- Check in about hiring grant writer with special funds
- Check in about commercially sponsored wiki workshops (like Alice’s presentation for a corporate Black History Month event)
- Which global wiki programs are Wiki NYC commitments? A+F, Black History Month, LGBT+ History Month, etc.
- Review the 2017-18 events calendar
- How will Wiki NYC produce annual reports? (probably with a report in a template, updated yearly)
- Board election in September - will anyone invite new potential board members? When should we start talking with them?
- Check in about WikiWednesday Salons - what works, what does not
- Committee planning and membership, broader view
- Vision statement
Perhaps more difficult and more time consuming
- Metrics review
- Partnerships review - review / draft list of all major Wiki NYC institutional partners
- Committee review - review existing Wiki NYC organizational committees, including budget, governance, metrics and reporting, friendly space, travel
- Richard as Wiki NYC president - exit interview
- Plan for meeting Wikimedia Foundation governance and reporting requirements
- Draft roles for chapter positions - keep reasonable
|10 am – 10:20 am
|10:20 - 12:15
|12:15 - 1:15
|3:15 - 3:30
|4:30 - 5:00
|5:00 - 6:00