Wikipedia:Meetup/Princeton University Edit-a-thon Three
Princeton University's Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library is hosting its third edit-a-thon on Friday, 19 October with the theme of Princeton Athletics! The campus will be in full swing for the weekend's Princeton vs. Harvard football game so what a perfect time to focus on editing and creating pages for PU Tigers Athletics! Wikipedians of all experience levels are encouraged to participate.
WHO: Alumni, students, staff and anyone else!
WHAT: Focusing our efforts this time around on expanding the current pages related to Princeton Athletics.
WHEN: Friday, 19 October 2012, 12:15 P.M.-4:15 P.M. Lunch and snacks will be provided.
WHY: To continue our efforts to add valuable Princeton related information to Wikipedia.
OTHER: Please bring your laptop since you will be asked to create a Wikipedia account if you do not already have an account (you are not required to have an account before participating) Public transportation may be best because parking may be difficult due to the big game. NJ Transit has a connection train, (dinky), with a drop off point within walking distance.
IMPORTANT: Please RSVP by adding your name to the list below
- 1 Possible Article Topics
- 2 How-To's
- 3 Online Resources
- 4 Princetoniana Resources Available to Use in Mudd Manuscript Library Reference Room
- 5 Resources Available in the Archives (Must be Paged from the Stacks)
- 6 Event Schedule
- 7 Who's Coming?
- 8 Outcomes
Possible Article Topics
- Princeton Tigers
- The Tiger (mascot)
- Women's Golf at Princeton (see the Women's Golf at Princeton finding aid for digitized sources.)
- Athletics Facilities (see historic images of Princeton grounds and buildings)
- Famous athletes from Princeton
- Cannon Song/Fight Song
- Hollie Donan (see Holland Donan Papers for sources)
- Bill Church (see William Wells Church Papers for sources)
- Wikipedia:Article wizard
- Wikipedia:Neutral point of view
- Princeton University Finding Aids -- Guides to our holdings This resource includes some digitized material, but is mostly an online guide to physical holdings at the Mudd Library
- Princeton University Periodicals -- The Daily Princetonian and the Princeton Weekly Bulletin, completely full-text searchable.
- Princeton Alumni Weekly Memorial Index This index covers all alumni for whom obituaries appeared in the Princeton Alumni Weekly and its predecessor, the Alumni Princetonian, between April 1894 and July 2011. The index includes some faculty and honorary class members.
- Digitized Films from the Mudd Library - Athletics This blog includes digitized copies of our films and commentary about them.
Princetoniana Resources Available to Use in Mudd Manuscript Library Reference Room
- Card catalog index to Princeton Alumni Weekly through 1990, and issues of PAW.
- Full runs of Nassau Herald, Freshman Herald and Bric-a-Brac.
- Class reunion books (often contain biographical information).
- Biographies of 18th century Princetonians.
- Printed histories of Princeton in general, as well as specific topics such as women in engineering, sports, etc.
- Published books related to Princeton football and other athletics.
Resources Available in the Archives (Must be Paged from the Stacks)
- Office of Athletic Communications -- Athletes' Files
- Athletic Programs Collection
- Historical Subject Files Collection -- Athletics
- Historical Photograph Collection
- Football Scrapbooks
Mudd Manuscript Library Editathon on October 19, 2012:
|12:15-1:15||Welcome from University Archivist and Curator of Public Policy Papers Dan Linke followed by lunch||Weiss Lounge|
|1:15-1:30||How to use Mudd Manuscript Library collections||Reference Room|
|1:30-2:00||Introduction to Wikipedia/The Five Pillars||Harlan Room|
|2:00-2:15||View how-to slideshows and videos for editing Wikipedia articles; or begin editing!||Harlan Room/Reference Room|
|2:15-4:15||Research and editing||Reference Room/Reading Room|
- Undead q (talk) 17:05, 19 September 2012 (UTC)
- Pharos (talk) 13:48, 4 October 2012 (UTC)
DGG ( talk ) 04:07, 15 October 2012 (UTC)My apologies, but this time I probably cannot come.
- Georgette Chalker
- Ocaasi t | c 15:43, 17 October 2012 (UTC)
- Jeremyb (talk) 20:12, 19 October 2012 (UTC)
- your name here!
- Unfortunately, I can't make it this time due to a work conflict. Please let me know of the next one! Newyorkbrad (talk) 03:07, 18 October 2012 (UTC)
By the Numbers
- Total attendees: 11
- Princeton undergraduates: 0
- Usernames created: 3
- Princeton Cannon Song
- Class of 1952 Stadium
- User:Undead q/Karl Langlotz
- List of Princeton University Olympians
- Hollie Donan
- Women's Golf
- First football game"
- Lisa Brown-Miller Coaching details added
3 photos to Wikimedia Commons
- GLAM Wikipedia project: let's create an archival materials citation template (for both the materials and the finding aids)