Wikipedia:Meetup/San Francisco 21
|In the area? You're invited to|
|San Francisco Meetup # 21|
|Date: August 24, 2014|
|Time: 1-5 pm|
|Place: 149 New Montgomery Street, 6th Floor San Francisco, CA 94105|
|prev: Meetup 20 - next: Meetup 22 | All SF meetups & events|
We're meeting up with Endalkachew Chala, co-founder of the Zone 9 bloggers to edit about human rights and free speech online, and to improve coverage of a range of topics from politics of Ethiopia to online journalism. Endalkachew is one of a team of Ethiopian bloggers and journalists who started a blog with hopes of fostering an open, public conversation about the future of Ethiopia. In April 2014, six members of the Zone 9 bloggers and three associated journalists were arrested in Addis Ababa and now face extreme charges.
In honor of the Zone 9 bloggers, we are organizing this edit-a-thon to improve coverage of the topics they might cover. All levels of Wikipedia-editing experience are welcome.
- Date: Sunday, August 24
- Time: 1 - 5 pm PDT
- Location: Wikimedia Foundation Offices - 149 New Montgomery, San Francisco
- Event: An edit-a-thon, and solidarity meet-up. Learn more about the Zone9 blogger’s case, how to edit Wikipedia, and collaborate to build knowledge and community.
- Hashtag: #freezone9bloggers
What to bring
- A laptop
- Ideas for topics or articles you might want to work on (though suggestions will be provided for those just looking to be put to work)
- Any relevant reference materials you might have
- A friend – we love to meet new would-be-editors! (you can also bring your spouse, kids, family, etc.)
- Food or drink to share, if you can (but don't worry if you can't)
- Or, if you don't have any of the above, just bring yourself!
We can collect potential topics and suggested articles for improvement here. Some topic areas could include the Zone9 Bloggers themselves (although remember to use a Neutral Point of View), Ethiopia, digital security, constitutions, digital journalism ... or feel free to work on an on-going project!
- Category:Ethiopian bloggers
- Category:Ethiopian journalists
- Category:Ethiopian media
- Category:Ethiopian government stubs
- Category:Citizen journalism
Ideas for things to do
- expand Zone 9 bloggers article (see trialtracker blog for case details
- expand Human rights in Ethiopia, specifically Freedom of the press section
- expand Constitutions of Ethiopia
- add citations and expand Encryption
- expand and improve Digital security
- expand and improve Politics of Ethiopia
- expand and improve Citizen journalism (especially to work toward representing worldwide view..)
- add citations to Amharic language
feel free to add your name below if you plan to come, or if you'll be joining us online
- Nikikana (talk) 05:34, 21 August 2014 (UTC)
- Aprilaser (talk) 05:34, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- Stephen (talk) 17:37, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- Online (ca:Zone 9) Davidpar (talk) 01:40, 23 August 2014 (UTC)
- SPattalk 19:11, 24 August 2014 (UTC)
- Kaldari (talk) 07:29, 25 August 2014 (UTC)
- Ethio Telecom - updated with additional references.
- Zone 9 bloggers - background updated, expanded the history and timeline, added citations, added advocacy
- Human Rights in Ethiopia - expanded Freedom of the Press, added Freedom of Association and Electronic Communications
- Internet in Ethiopia - expanded sections on censorship and surveillance
- FinFisher - added the case of the Ethiopian government's use of FinSpy spyware
- Befeqadu Hailu - one of the most prominent Zone 9 bloggers, article created