Wikipedia is currently promoting a Wikipedia:Wiknic on Saturday June 25, 2011. Please add your name to the list below if you would be interested in attending this event.
What: Seattle Wikipedia Wicnic, Seattle Global Reddit Meetup, Where: Golden Gardens Park tables 20 and 21 When: Saturday, June 25 · 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Google says that meteorologists say that this will be a sunny day.
- the Seattle Reddit community, which is already well-established and happens to also be organizing a picnic on this day. We are actually joining their picnic to ensure that Wiknic attendees meet a large group of people who are interested in contributing to online user-controlled information sites. There is overlap in interest between these two groups. The discussion about this on Reddit is here, here, and here.
- Bluerasberry (talk · contribs), u-district
- Wsiegmund (talk · contribs), northeast Seattle
- Michael Snow (talk · contribs), Kirkland
- Bennetto (talk · contribs), Pioneer Square
- Dennis Bratland (talk · contribs), Ballard
- Cosman246 (talk · contribs)
- Robbertom (talk · contribs)
- Todrobbins (talk · contribs), Kirkland
- AnAnthro (talk · contribs), u-district
- Greendragonfly (talk · contribs), Hobart
- Jamesgarfield1022 (talk · contribs), Shoreline
- Yasharster (talk · contribs), Kirkland
Sanjay Pant, Redmond
Golden Gardens Park has a beach, water, barbeque facilities, and plenty of play room. It is in Ballard on the Sound.
- meeting real-life Wikipedians to get editing support
- discussing Wikipedia and local non-profit organizations (from Bluerasberry)
- add your own interest!
- Since it's now the 24th, anyone going to post specifics for this event? (from Greendragonfly)
- I want to meet you anyway. I will write you later to schedule this, but I read your PR essay and I would appreciate the chance to talk to you in person about your ideas. Thanks for posting on this page. Blue Rasberry (talk) 16:11, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
I already have commitments in Skyway, the Green Lake area and Gasworks Park tomorrow, and I don't drive, so I think the chances are minimal that I'll make it. But if another one is held, I hope to be able to attend, or at least drop by briefly. --Haruo (talk) 16:01, 24 June 2011 (UTC)
I'll probably stop by but I don't understand the mix of the two groups. Oh well, guess I'll check it out and see. Noon tomorrow at Golden Gardens Park. -- (Greendragonfly) 16:49, 24 June 2011 (UTC)
Too bad this is scheduled on amateur radio Field Day. Otherwise, I would attend. I greatly enjoyed the Seattle area celebration of Wikipedia's 10th birthday. -- (Elcaset)
Sounds fun, but it is regrettable that the weather looks pretty uninviting and uncomfortable tomorrow. That's what you get this time of year in Seattle though, so it shouldn't be surprising.
- There is this which is not mine. I see what other pics come up and then get someone to upload one to commons. I was not at all expecting such a crowd of people to attend; I do not think anyone was. Reddit has never organized an all-user meetup in Seattle before, but I think that this demonstrates that Seattle has an online-media userbase who is interested in meeting up.
- I am happy for the enthusiasm, but I did not meet anyone at this who came here from Wikipedia because there were just so many people. In the future I would like to organize something more intimate and focused because I would like to promote Wikipedia better in Seattle. Still, Golden Gardens is beautiful, the weather was great, and everyone had fun. Blue Rasberry (talk) 23:56, 25 June 2011 (UTC)
- I showed up and a half hour or so trying to figure out where the Wikipedia people were, but I with so many people I didn't know how long it would take before somebody could tell me where you all were. Still not entirely sure I know what Reddit is, but they seemed enthusiastic about it. I'd still like to meet Wikipedians around Seattle if something can be set up. --Dennis Bratland (talk) 05:28, 26 June 2011 (UTC)