Wikipedia:On this day/Today
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1260 – The second of two major Prussian uprisings by the Prussian tribe of Balts began against the Teutonic Knights.
- 1498 – A tsunami caused by the Nankai earthquake washed away the building housing the statue of the Great Buddha (pictured) at Kōtoku-in in Kamakura, Japan.
- 1906 – The ocean liner RMS Mauretania, the largest and fastest ship in the world at the time, was launched.
- 1943 – World War II: Australian troops defeated Imperial Japanese forces at the Battle of Kaiapit in New Guinea.
- 2008 – An explosive-laden truck detonated in front of the Marriott hotel in Islamabad, Pakistan, killing 54 people and injuring 266 others.