Wild Boy (song)
|Single by MGK featuring Waka Flocka Flame|
|from the album Lace Up|
|Released||September 27, 2011|
|MGK singles chronology|
|Waka Flocka Flame singles chronology|
"Wild Boy" is a song by American rapper MGK. The song, released September 27, 2011, serves as the lead single from his debut EP Half Naked & Almost Famous (2012). The single features American rapper Waka Flocka Flame and was produced by GB Hitz and Southside. The song was initially included on his third mixtape Rage Pack, and later included on his major-label debut studio album Lace Up.
The music video, directed by Spliff TV and Maybach Music Films, was released to MGK's Vevo on November 16, 2011. The video depicts MGK at his girlfriend’s house having dinner with her parents along with the song’s featured artist Waka Flocka Flame. During dinner, the girl’s parents ask Waka Flocka Flame what he "does for a living," in which Waka Flocka Flame responds by hitting her father in the head with a glass bottle and the two artists answer with a wild warehouse performance of ‘Wild Boy’ where stage diving, bonfires, Steve-O references and partying ensues. The video features cameo appearances from jeweler Johnny Dang, comedian Katt Williams, and rapper Layzie Bone.
The video for the remix was released April 26, 2012.
The official remix was released on March 14, 2012, which featured 2 Chainz, Meek Mill, Mystikal, French Montana, Yo Gotti and – the person who which the song is referenced – Steve-O providing an intro. The remix was officially released, removing Steve-O's intro and outro from the single, to digital retailers, like iTunes and Amazon on May 22, 2012 and again with Steve-O's intro and outro to digital retailers on May 29, 2012.
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Lace Up.
- MGK recording: Rage Cage Studios (Cleveland, OH)
- Waka Flocka Flame recording: Daddy's House Recording Studios (New York, NY)
- GB Hitz – producer
- Southside – producer
- Justin Sampson – producer, assistant
- Steve "Rock Star" Dickey – mixer
|US Billboard Hot 100||98|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||49|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Release and radio history
|United States||September 27, 2011||Digital download|||
|February 6, 2012||Radio airplay|||
- "Rage Pack (Hosted By DJ Xplosive & DJ EV)". HotNewHipHop. October 14, 2011. Retrieved February 16, 2012.
- "Machine Gun Kelly Premieres ‘Wild Boy’ Music Video on 106 & Park!". Nerdy Frames. December 10, 2011. Retrieved January 23, 2012.
- Kelly, Machine Gun (April 26, 2012). "Wild Boy Remix". YouTube. Retrieved April 28, 2012.
- "Wild Boy (Remix) [feat. 2 Chainz, French Montana, Meek Mill, Mystikal, Steve-O & Yo Gotti] - Single by MGK". ITunes (US). Apple. Retrieved June 2, 2012.
- Lace Up (booklet). Bad Boy/Interscope Records. 2012.
- "MGK and Waka Flocka Flame - Wild Boy". aCharts.co. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "MGK Chart History: Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 23, 2012.
- "MGK Chart History: Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Machine Gun Kelly – Wild Boy". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Wild Boy feat. Waka Flocka Flame". ITunes Store (US). Apple. Retrieved January 23, 2012.
- "Rhythm – Airplay Archive". FMQB. Mediaspan Online Services. Retrieved December 9, 2012.