|Wu Xiubo |
Wu Xiubo, Nov. 2010
|Chinese name||吳秀波 (traditional)|
|Chinese name||吴秀波 (simplified)|
|Pinyin||Wú Xiù Bō (Mandarin)|
5 September 1968|
|Other names||Rodney Wu|
|Alma mater||Central Academy of Drama|
|Ancestry||Suzhou, Jiangsu, China|
Wu Xiubo (Chinese: 吴秀波; pinyin: Wú Xiù Bō, born 5 September 1968), is a Chinese actor, musician and producer. He is perhaps most widely known as Xinjie Liu, the protagonist in the television series Before the Dawn, for which he received several awards. His fans always call him 波叔，uncle Bo in English.
As a teenager, Wu became involved in the arts, particularly painting, drawing, poetry, and singing. In 1984, he enrolled at Central Academy of Drama at the age of 17, from which he graduated in 1987. As a young man, he worked an assortment of jobs, running a restaurant and clothing shop and even working as a resident singer, among other things. Wu joked that he has worked 200 different jobs just to make a living. He also joined a state-owned theater company but found the life routine tedious.
In 2002, Wu was encouraged to return to acting with the help and recommendation of a childhood friend Liu Bei. He made his television drama debut as a detective in the series Crime Investigate at the end of 2002.
Wu first drew attention for his performance in the war drama Sword & Spy, which won him the Most Popular Actor award at the TVS Award Ceremony.
He rose to fame in 2010 when his role as an undercover Communist Party member in hit spy drama Before Dawn became a household name. The same year, he starred in the historical drama The Case of an Orphan named Zhao, written based on true events during the Spring and Autumn Period (770 – 476 AD) where Cheng (played by Wu) rescues an orphan from the Zhao family and saves him from assassination. Wu was nominated for an International Emmy Award for Best Actor.
In 2012, he starred in the hit medical drama Angel Heart, based on best-selling writer Liu Liu's novel about problems in doctor-patient relationships in China.
His success continued in 2014 when he starred in Divorce Lawyer, a hit legal drama where Wu played a divorced divorce lawyer, who after his "wife's betrayal" is conflicted about his own desire to go astray and not finding the courage to do so. The same year, he starred in the A Civic Yuppie in Countryside, a rural drama about an urban official's experiences in rural China. The drama was praised for its intricate plot, realistic touch and vivid characters and became a ratings hit in China. Wu won the Outstanding Actor award at the Flying Apsaras Awards for his performance.
Wu also starred in the musical television series My Youth High Eight Degrees, playing a club director who leads a gang of misfits with hidden musical talents, whipping them into shape and competing in the national choir competition. Despite achieving stellar ratings, the show was slammed for plagiarism accusations.
In 2015, Wu starred in the historical drama Tumultuous Times Scholar, which focuses on the vicissitudes of a traditional Chinese family of scholars.
Wu and Tang then teamed up again to film the sequel of Finding Mr. Right, titled Book of Love (2016). Book of Love was a huge commercial success and became the highest grossing Chinese romantic film of all time.
Wu married in 2002 when he was 34. He and his wife live in Beijing with their two sons Hanhan (born 2003) and Xiaoyu (born 2007). Wu is an avid billiards enthusiast.
In 2011, Wu was awarded at the Culture China Award ceremony hosted by the Oriental Morning Post for his outstanding contributions to the Chinese culture in the past 10 years. In 2012, he was awarded the 2012 China Youth Leader Awards organized by the Guangzhou-based magazine Southern People Weekly, which dentifies and recognizes model youths who excel or inspire their peers to make contributions to society.
In 2017, Wu was appointed Tourism Australia's Ambassador for the 2017 China-Australia Year of Tourism.
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title||Role||Notes|
|1988||Gold Shoes||金鞋||Guo Fuhen|
|2005||The Spirit of Nu River||怒江魂||Zeng Lama|
|2012||People Mountain People Sea||人山人海||Xiao Qiang|
|2012||The Four||四大名捕||An Shiqiu|
|2012||Love Caused Deficiency||因情圆缺||Wu You|
|2013||Finding Mr. Right||北京遇上西雅图||Frank|
|2013||The Four II||四大名捕2||An Shiqiu|
|2014||The Four III||四大名捕3||An Shiqiu|
|2016||Book of Love||北京遇上西雅图之不二情书||Daniel|
|2017||Sky Hunter||空天猎||Lu Guoqiang|
|2018||The Faces of My Gene||祖宗十九代||Mei Qiantu|
|Year||English title||Chinese title||Role||Notes|
|2002||Lan Se Jiao Liang||蓝色较量||Jin Yu||Cameo|
|2003||Heave Bird||天堂鸟||Jun Tao||Cameo|
|2003||Emphasis Detect||立案侦查||Hong Wu||Also soundtrack composer|
|2005||Jun Run Ji Mi||军人机密||Sima Tong||Cameo|
|2005||Fei Chang Dao||非常道||Lv Tianzhuo||Also executive producer|
|2005||Catching Snake||捕蛇行动||Yang Tao|
|2005||Bing Qi||阳光下的冰器||Guo Fei|
|2005||Li Hun Jin Xing Shi||离婚进行时||Wang Wei||Also planner|
|2006||Redaction Hero Tiger Courage||新英雄虎胆||Zheng Haotian|
|2006||Yu Cui||玉碎||Xiaoye Yilang|
|2006||29 and a Half Days||29天半||Pan Yeshi|
|2006||Dao Ke Wen||道可道||Luo Yi||Also executive producer and musical composer|
|2007||Tracing All||追查到底||Qian Haiyang|
|2008||Behind the Femininity||温柔的背后||Jiang Chengyun|
|2008||A Poem For the Oak||相思树||Kang Kai|
|2008||My Depraved Brother||义本同心||Xiang Fei|
|2009||Parted Lives, Never Parted Love||天涯咫尺||Liu Jin||Cameo|
|2009||Marriage in a Coma||昏迷不醒||Ding Shaofeng|
|2009||Sword & Spy||剑谍||Fang Tao|
|2009||The Wedding||嫁衣||Jiao Yang|
|2009||Invincible Love||大爱无敌||Xie Yongkang|
|2010||Snow Leopard||雪豹||Xu Bowen|
|2010||Shanghai Shanghhai||上海，上海||Gu Yecheng|
|2010||Before Dawn||黎明之前||Liu Xinjie|
|2010||Brother's Happiness||老大的幸福||Policeman Yang|
|2010||Happy Memories of the Mas||老马家的幸福往事||Huang Aiguo||Cameo|
|2011||Qing Mang||青盲||Situ Hui|
|2011||Please Forgive Me||请你原谅我||Xu Tian|
|2012||The Four||新四大名捕||Zhou Moru||Cameo|
|2012||Angel Heart||心术||Huo Siyuan|
|2012||Master Lin Is At Seoul||林师傅在首尔||Nangong Lie|
|2013||The Case of an Orphan Named Zhao||趙氏孤兒案||Cheng Ying|
|2013||The Patriot Yue Fei||精忠岳飞||Gao Chong||Cameo|
|2013||Mop Lady's Spring||抹布女也有春天||CEO Wang||Cameo|
|2014||Exceedingly High Road||大道通天||Zeng Tianjiao|
|2014||My Youth Octave||我的青春高八度||Xiao Wen|
|2014||Divorce Lawyers||离婚律师||Chi Donghai|
|2014||Marriage Secret||结婚的秘密||Jiang Bo||Cameo|
|2014||Wan's Home Treasure||万家有宝||Wan Tianhe||Cameo|
|2014||A Civic Yuppie in Countryside||马向阳下乡记||Ma Xiangyang|
|2015||Tumultuous Times Scholar||乱世书香||Lu Shibai|
|2015||Shan Dong He Zai||山河同在||Zhang Zuolin||Cameo|
|2017||The Advisors Alliance||军师联盟||Sima Yi|
|2018||City of Desire||欲望之城||Jiang Nianhua|
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title|
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title||Album||Notes|
|2000||"Can't Catch You"||抓不住的你||Heaven Bird OST|
|2001||"You Are The Lover I'm Most Sorry To"||你是我最对不起的情人||Dui Ji Gan Qing OST||with Liu Pei|
|2002||"Let's Go Let's Go"||走就走吧||Emphasis Detect OST|
|2004||"Keep the Innocence||保留纯真||Bing Qi OST|
|2008||"Slowly"||慢慢来||A Poem For The Oak OST|
Awards and nominations
|2010||2nd China TV Drama Awards||Popular Actor Award||Before Dawn||Won|
|2011||6th Huading Awards||Best Actor||Won|||
|17th Shanghai Television Festival||Best Actor||Nominated|
|Most Popular Actor||Won|||
|2012||26th China TV Golden Eagle Award||Best Actor||Won|
|9th China Golden Eagle TV Arts Festival||Best Performing Arts Actor||Won|||
|2013||12th Sichuan Television Festival||Best Actor||Nominated|
|19th Shanghai Television Festival||Best Actor||The Case of an Orphan named Zhao||Nominated|
|5th China Image Film Festival||Best Actor||Finding Mr. Right||Nominated|
|4th New York Chinese Film Festival||Outstanding Asian Artist Award||Won|||
|10th Guangzhou Student Film Festival||Favorite Character||Won|||
|2014||5th China Film Director's Guild Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|21st Beijing College Student Film Festival||Best Actor||Nominated|
|32nd Hundred Flowers Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|14th Huabiao Awards||Outstanding Actor||Nominated|
|42nd International Emmy Award||Best Actor||The Case of an Orphan named Zhao||Nominated|||
|2015||21st Shanghai Television Festival||Best Actor||A Civic Yuppie in Countryside||Nominated|
|30th Flying Apsaras Awards||Outstanding Actor||Won|||
|15th Golden Phoenix Awards||Society Award||Finding Mr. Right||Won|||
|2017||13th Chinese American Film & TV Festival||Best Actor||The Advisors Alliance||Won|||
|2nd Golden Guduo Media Awards||Best Actor (Web series)||Won|||
|8th Macau International Television Festival||Best Actor||Nominated|||
|2018||24th Shanghai Television Festival||Best Actor||Nominated|||
- "吴秀波42岁爆红". Yangtze Evening News (in Chinese). China Xinhua News Network Corporation. October 21, 2010. Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- "Taking the long way to success". Shanghai Daily. November 14, 2010.
- "《剑谍》南方盛典赢双奖 吴秀波魅力非凡". Sina (in Chinese). December 25, 2009.
- "Wu Xiubo: A different kind of actor". China Daily. August 28, 2010.
- "Wu Xiubo nominated for International Emmy". China Daily. October 15, 2014.
- "《心术》收视创新高 导演：医患矛盾不应激化". Sohu (in Chinese). May 13, 2012.
- "China's 'stylish uncle' makes his mark". The Global Times. January 19, 2016.
- "TV Drama The Divorce Lawyer Has Been A Huge Success In China". China Radio International. September 5, 2014.
- "Fish out of water". The Global Times. October 15, 2014.
- "Chinese Musical TV Drama Draws Ratings, Criticism for 'Copying' 'Glee'". The Hollywood Reporter. July 8, 2014.
- "New historical series unveiled". The Global Times. December 28, 2015.
- "'Finding Mr.Right 2' starts shooting in Macao". China Daily. June 23, 2015.
- "On Screen China: Director Xue Xiaolu's 'Book of Love' Aims for Rom-Com Record". China Film Insider. April 29, 2016.
- "New costume drama becomes internet sensation". China Daily. July 13, 2017.
- "Angelababy happy to work with Wu Xiubo". Yahoo. November 9, 2017.
- "Cultural awards for 16 well-known Chinese". Shanghai Government. June 27, 2011.
- "Youth leaders receive due recognition". China Daily. June 21, 2012.
- "Wu Xiubo Named Asia'S Sexiest Male Vegetarian Celebrity". Peta Asia. November 26, 2014.
- "Australia picks Chinese actor as tourism envoy". China Daily. February 21, 2017.
- "Xu Qing joins hands with Wu Xiubo in 'Caesar'". China.org.cn. June 10, 2011.
- "图文：电视剧华鼎奖揭晓-吴秀波获最佳男主角". Sina (in Chinese). December 9, 2011.
- "第17届上海电视节完全获奖名单". Sina (in Chinese). June 10, 2011.
- "Golden Eagle TV Art Festival opens in Hunan Province". CCTV.com. September 11, 2012.
- "Four stars bag Most Outstanding Asian Artists awards". Yahoo. November 12, 2013.
- "《合伙人》当选最受欢迎电影 赵薇最受欢迎导演". Tencent (in Chinese). November 25, 2013.
- "Mei Ting Garnered Best Actress at 30th Feitian Awards". China Radio International. December 25, 2015.
- "吴秀波获电影"金凤凰奖" 弯腰向老艺术家致敬". Huanqiu (in Chinese). June 8, 2015.
- "第13届中美电影节、中美电视节各项大奖揭开神秘面纱". China.com (in Chinese). November 7, 2017.
- "2017金骨朵网络影视盛典 吴秀波谭松韵喜夺金骨朵". People's Daily (in Chinese). August 1, 2017.
- "2017第八届澳门国际电视节奖项提名". Weibo (in Chinese). Macau International Television Festival. December 11, 2017.
- "第24届上海电视节白玉兰奖中国电视剧单元入围名单公布". People's Daily (in Chinese). May 24, 2018.