|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Frequency||FM: 90.5 MHz
AM: 1550 kHz (now silent)
|First air date||1944 on AM
June 2014 on FM
|Format||public broadcasting (news, cultural shows, classical music)|
|Callsign meaning||Radio Universidad Veracruzana|
|Former callsigns||XEXB (1950s–1979?)
XERUV-AM (AM station, to 2016)
|Former frequencies||1400 kHz (1955–1979)
580 kHz (c. 1946–1955)
1550 kHz (1955-2016)
mms://188.8.131.52/radiouv (direct stream)
XHRUV-FM is the radio station of the Universidad Veracruzana in the state of Veracruz, Mexico. It broadcasts from the state capital of Xalapa on 90.5 MHz. It uses the identification "Radio UV" and broadcasts a mix of news, cultural shows and classical music. The station is on the air from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m.
Radio UV was established on 15 September 1944, just days after the university itself, and was broadcasting with 200 watts on 580 kHz as XEJJ by 1946. By 1955, it increased power to 500 watts and moved to 1400 kHz, and began transmitting from the Cerro de Macuiltépetl with studios in the Xalapa Teatro del Estado in 1956. The programming was 12 hours of classical music. The call sign also changed to XEXB in the 1950s.
The station was shut down later, only transmitting music sporadically.
An agreement to swap frequencies with XEZL was made in 1965, with the goal of swapping frequencies and also using some of XEZL's schedule for cultural programming. By 1979 XERUV-AM it was a 10,000 watt station on 1550 kHz, and began transmitting 20 hours per day from the local Teatro del Estado on 2 March 1980 with programming that included talk, sports, and children's literature. The station gained space in the Casona de Clavijero in 1988, and a new transmitter location in Acajete, Veracruz in 1997.
In 2016, the IFT denied a long-pending request to renew XERUV-AM's permit, because the original renewal made in 2005 by then-station manager Fernando Escalante Sobrino was 15 days late. As a result, effective June 1, XERUV-AM went off the air, and XHRUV-FM was officially launched.
- "Creación". Xalapa: Universidad Veracruzana. 2010-05-12. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones. Infraestructura de Estaciones de Radio FM. Last modified 2016-03-31. Retrieved 2015-06-10.
- Though the university website says that the move to 1400 was in 1955 and the callsign change to XEXB was in 1958, the station was already listed as XEXB with 500 watts daytime and 250 watts nighttime on 1400kHz in the 1953 version of Broadcasting stations of the world (12th ed.). Washington, D.C.: Foreign Broadcast Information Service. 1953-10-01. p. 148.
- RUV website says 1969 and "for political reasons"; Casillas and Suárez says 1958–1961 and credits the problems to a government inspection finding the transmitter inadequate.
- Casillas Alvarado, Miguel Angel; Suárez Domínguez, José Luis (2008), Aproximaciones al estudio histórico de la Universidad Veracruzana (PDF), Xalapa, Veracruz: Universidad Veracruzana, Instituto de Investigaciones en Educación, ISBN 978-968-834-856-7, retrieved 2010-05-19
- "Radio UV escucha a su audiencia", UV June 2014
- RPC: Termination of XERUV-AM Permit
- "Radio UV finalizó un ciclo e inicia otro", UV June 1, 2016
|This article about a radio station in Mexico is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a university, college or other tertiary educational institution in Mexico is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|