Yodels are frosted, cream-filled cakes made by the Drake's company, which was bought by McKee Foods after former owner Old HB went bankrupt. Yodels are distributed on the East Coast of the United States. They are similar to Hostess Brands' Ho Hos and Little Debbie's Swiss Rolls.
Each plastic package of Yodels contains two cakes, totaling 440 calories and three grams of saturated fat. Yodels are also sold in boxes containing five or eight individually wrapped pairs of cakes (a total of ten or 16). Formerly Yodels used a different formula, with thicker, denser cake and came packaged in foil. This was changed by the late 80s to the current recipe and packaging.
In popular culture
- Yodels are named as the preferred food source of the character Jeri in the comic strip PreTeena.
- The snacks were featured in the movie Click (2006), in which the main character (played by Adam Sandler) becomes extremely overweight after eating Yodels for 10 years.
- They are often named as a favorite snack food by Fox News Channel vice president and anchor, Neil Cavuto.
- In the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond, Yodels are shared by the characters Ray Barone and Robert Barone in Ray's childhood bedroom, after Robert was gored by a bull in the line of duty.
- They are a favourite of character Doug Heffernan on the show King of Queens.
- In the episode "The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons" of The Simpsons, Homer Simpson is forced to choose between buying a Yodel or a winning lottery ticket. He ultimately chooses the Yodel.
- In an episode of the reality show Jersey Shore, the cast eats Yodels for dessert following an Italian dinner prepared by Vinny Guadagnino's mother Paula.
- In an episode of Kevin Can Wait, they are referred to as a possible dessert for wedding guests if the family cannot reduce both the number of guests and the total cost of the wedding.
- In an episode of Frasier Frasier makes reference to Roz being upset about a Twinkie coming out the Yodel chute of a vending machine.
- Oct. 24, 2010 Archived October 25, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- FOXNews.com - No More Yodels? - Neil Cavuto | Your World
- FOXNews.com - Common Sense: Butt Out, Washington! - Neil Cavuto | Your World
- FOXNews.com - Losing Our Guts? - Neil Cavuto | Your World
- FOXNews.com - Free Tip for Democrats - Neil Cavuto | Your World
- FOXNews.com - Look Who's Coming to Dinner - Neil Cavuto | Your World
- FOXNews.com - Trying to Make Sense of It All - Neil Cavuto | Your World
- FOXNews.com - Tips for CEOs - Neil Cavuto | Your World
- The King of Queens: Lush Life - TV.com
- The King of Queens: Offensive Fowl - TV.com
- "Frasier", Wikipedia, 2019-05-26, retrieved 2019-05-31