|Born||Yury Valentinovich Kovalchuk
25 July 1951
Leningrad, Soviet Union (now St Petersburg, Russia)
|Occupation||Chairman and largest shareholder, Rossiya Bank|
|Known for||"Putin's personal banker"|
|Net worth||$1.9 billion|
|Relatives||Mikhail Kovalchuk (brother)|
Yury Valentinovich Kovalchuk (Russian: Юрий Валентинович Ковальчук, born 25 July 1951) is a Russian billionaire businessman and financier who is "reputed to be Vladimir Putin's personal banker". The May 2008 issue of Russian Forbes listed him for the first time in its Golden Hundred of Russia's richest, calling him and another new entrant to the List, Gennady Timchenko, "good acquaintances of Vladimir Putin." The magazine placed him at number 53 on the Russians-only list, with an estimated fortune of $1.9 billion.
Since the early 1990s Kovalchuk has owned a dacha in Solovyovka in the Priozersky District of the Leningrad region, located on the eastern shore of the Komsomolskoye lake on the Karelian Isthmus near St. Petersburg. His neighbours there are Vladimir Putin, Vladimir Yakunin, Andrei Fursenko, Sergey Fursenko, Viktor Myachin, Vladimir Smirnov and Nikolay Shamalov. Together they instituted the co-operative society Ozero (the Lake) which united their properties on 10 November 1996. 
Kovalchuk was one of several individuals sanctioned by the U.S. Treasury Department on 20 March 2014 in response to the 2014 Crimean crisis. According to the U.S. Treasury, Kovalchuk is a close advisor to President Putin and has been referred to as one of his “cashiers.”
References and notes
- "Russians make leap forward on global billionaires' list". Radio Liberty. 7 March 2008. Retrieved 10 May 2008.
- Kremlin-linked tycoon eyes Russia media firm-report reuters.com 23 April 2008.
- Anna Shcherbakova. Interview with Mikhail Klishin, Director general of the Russia Bank. Vedomosti #35(1316), 1 March 2005. (in Russian)
- The Origin of Putin's Oligarchy Archived 22 December 2007 at the Wayback Machine. by Vladimir Pribylovsky. Ms., 11 October 2005. (in Russian)
- The Russia Bank, Stockmap.spb.ru
- How the 1980s Explains Vladimir Putin. The Ozero group. By Fiona Hill & Clifford G. Gaddy, The Atlantic, 14 February 2013
- Владимир Прибыловский, Юрий Фельштинский. Операция "Наследник". Главы из книги. Штрихи к политическому портрету В. В. Путина
- "Executive Order - Blocking Property of Additional Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine". The White House - Office of the Press Secretary.
- Specially Designated Nationals List (SDN)
- "Treasury Sanctions Russian Officials, Members Of The Russian Leadership's Inner Circle, And An Entity For Involvement In The Situation In Ukraine". United States Treasury Department. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- Shuklin, Peter (21 March 2014). "Putin's inner circle: who got in a new list of US sanctions". liga.net. Archived from the original on 7 February 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- President of The United States (19 March 2016). "Ukraine EO13661" (PDF). Federal Register. Retrieved 20 February 2016.