1755 English cricket season
|3 June (Tu)||Cambridge University v Eton ||Cambridge||Cambridge University won|
|5 June (Th)||Cambridge University v Eton ||Cambridge||Cambridge University won|
Cricket at Cambridge University was first mentioned in 1710. These are the first matches we know of that were played by a team representing the University. It is not clear if the Eton team was past or present pupils or both. From a comment made by the Public Advertiser, it would seem that the teams met in 1754 also and that Eton won.
|10 July (Th)||Hampton v Kingston ||Hampton Court Green||Hampton won by 3 wkts|
Kingston scored 95 and 50; Hampton scored 72 and 65-7. Play was delayed for an hour by rain after Hampton’s first innings ended. Odds were a guinea to a crown on the Kingston side and at last as much on the Court side!
|21 July (M)||London v Waltham ||Artillery Ground||result unknown|
The game was pre-announced by the Daily Advertiser on Sat 19 July.
|8 August (F)||London v Surrey & Middlesex ||Artillery Ground||London won by 20 runs|
The match was described as "so long depending" which suggests it may have been postponed. Only the result and venue are known. Tom Faulkner, Joe Harris and John Frame all played for London as given men.
The Daily Advertiser announced on Thurs 12 June that on Monday next, 16 June, the Duke of Cumberland (aka the Butcher) would review Lt Gen. Cholmondeley’s Regiment of Dragoons upon Datchet Common, Bucks. After the review a cricket match was to be played for a considerable sum of money.
Thurs 26 June. A "fives" match on Kennington Common in which the London Cricket Club defeated Windsor & Eton by 8 runs. London scored 13 and 22; Windsor & Eton scored 11 and 16. London’s team was Perry, the two Bennetts, Capon and Clowder.
- Buckley, G. B. (1935). Fresh Light on 18th Century Cricket. Cotterell.
- McCann, Tim (2004). Sussex Cricket in the Eighteenth Century. Sussex Record Society.
- Waghorn, H. T. (1899). Cricket Scores, Notes, etc. (1730–1773). Blackwood.
- Waghorn, H. T. (1906). The Dawn of Cricket. Electric Press.
- Wilson, Martin (2005). An Index to Waghorn. Bodyline.
- ACS (1981). A Guide to Important Cricket Matches Played in the British Isles 1709 – 1863. Nottingham: ACS.
- Altham, H. S. (1962). A History of Cricket, Volume 1 (to 1914). George Allen & Unwin.
- Birley, Derek (1999). A Social History of English Cricket. Aurum.
- Bowen, Rowland (1970). Cricket: A History of its Growth and Development. Eyre & Spottiswoode.
- Buckley, G. B. (1937). Fresh Light on pre-Victorian Cricket. Cotterell.
- Major, John (2007). More Than A Game. HarperCollins.
- Maun, Ian (2011). From Commons to Lord's, Volume Two: 1751 to 1770. Martin Wilson. ISBN 978-0-9569066-0-1.
- Underdown, David (2000). Start of Play. Allen Lane.
- Classification of cricket matches from 1697 to 1825
- CricketArchive – 1755 match list
- From Lads to Lord's; The History of Cricket: 1300 – 1787