|Centuries:||5th century – 6th century – 7th century|
|Decades:||520s 530s 540s – 550s – 560s 570s 580s|
|Years:||552 553 554 – 555 – 556 557 558|
|555 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1308|
|Bahá'í calendar||-1289 – -1288|
|English Regnal year||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||甲戌年 (Wood Dog)
3251 or 3191
— to —
乙亥年 (Wood Pig)
3252 or 3192
|- Vikram Samvat||611–612|
|- Shaka Samvat||477–478|
|- Kali Yuga||3656–3657|
|Igbo calendar||-445 – -444|
|Iranian calendar||67 BP – 66 BP|
|Islamic calendar||69 BH – 68 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1357 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||1098|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 555.|
Year 555 (DLV) was a common year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. The denomination 555 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Justinian I reconquers many former territories of the Western Roman Empire; including Italy, Dalmatia, Africa and Southern Hispania.
- An earthquake devastates the city of Latakia (modern Syria).
- King Chlothar I annexes the Frankish territories of Metz and Reims after the death of his great-nephew Theudebald.
- King Erb of Gwent dies, his kingdom is divided into Gwent and Ergyng in Southern Wales (approximate date).
- Summer – Lazic War: The Byzantine army under Bessas is repulse and forced to retreat out of Archaeopolis (Georgia).
- King Gubazes II is invited to observe the siege of a Persian-held fortress and murdered by the Byzantine military staff.
- Chinese Liang Dynasty: Jing Di, age 12, succeeds his father Yuan Di and is declared emperor by general Chen Baxian.
- The Rouran Khaganate ends; its defeated by the Göktürks under Muqan Qaghan who expands his rule in Central Asia.
Arts and sciences
- Around this time, the historian Jordanes writes several books, among them De origine actibusque Getarum (The origin and deeds of the Goths).
- Taliesin, British poet, becomes court bard to king Brochwel of Powys (approximate date).
- June 7 – Pope Vigilius dies on his journey back home at Syracuse. His body is brought to Rome and buried in the San Martino ai Monti.
- Cybi Felyn, abbot of Holyhead, dies at his monastery in Caer Gybi (approximate date).
- Basolus, French Benedictine and hermit (approximate date)
- Khadija, wife of Islamic prophet Muhammad (approximate date)
- Cybi Felyn, Cornish bishop (approximate date)
- Erb of Gwent, Welsh king (approximate date)
- Gubazes II, king of Lazica (Georgia)
- Helier, hermit and patron saint
- Ly Thien Bao, emperor of Vietnam (b. 499)
- Mermeroes, Persian general
- June 7 – Pope Vigilius
- Theudebald, king of Austrasia
- Wang Sengbian, general of the Liang Dynasty
- Yuan Di, emperor of the Liang Dynasty (b. 508)