Area code 619
The map to the right is now clickable; click on an area code to go to the page for that area code. The area code in red is Area Code 619; all others in blue are California area codes.
North American area code 619 is a California telephone area code which was split from area code 714 on November 5, 1982. This area code currently covers the southern half of the city of San Diego and its eastern and southern suburbs.
Before it was split to form area code 760, 619 was the area code for a large geographical area that spanned all of San Diego county as well as desert counties along the eastern border of the state from the Mexican border almost to Lake Tahoe. Area code 760 was designated as the outer northern suburbs of San Diego (such as Oceanside, Vista, Fallbrook, San Marcos and Escondido), as well as the county's eastern mountain areas and all portions of the old area code lying outside San Diego County. This area also has an overlay of area code 442 as of late 2009.
Area code 858, which covers the northern half of the city and the inner northern suburbs, was a result of a later split. This area includes Del Mar, Poway, and Miramar MCAS, as well as San Diego neighborhoods including La Jolla, Mira Mesa, Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, and Rancho Peñasquitos.
List of places in the 619 area code
San Diego County
- Casa de Oro-Mount Helix
- Chula Vista
- El Cajon
- Granite Hills
- Harbison Canyon
- Imperial Beach
- La Mesa
- La Presa
- Lemon Grove
- Lincoln Acres
- Mount Laguna
- National City
- Ocean Beach
- Pine Valley
- Rancho San Diego
- San Diego (approximately the southern half of the city)
- San Ysidro
- Spring Valley
- Winter Gardens
In popular culture
- Professional wrestler and San Diego native Rey Mysterio named his finishing move "The 619" after the area code. A DVD featuring him is titled Rey Mysterio: 619.
- Football player Reggie Bush painted the number 619 into his eyeblack during games. He explained "When I do that, it's my way of keeping myself humble, of representing my hometown and letting them know I'm not going to forget where I came from."
- http://www.areacode-info.com/!history/1980s.htm The domain content now has nothing to do with area codes. It seems to be merely an advertising site.[dead link]
- "Rey Mysterio bio". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- World Wrestling Entertainment (2003). Rey Mysterio: 619 (DVD). Enfield, Middlesex: Silver Vision.
- "It's Reggie, bar none". USA Today. 12 March 2005. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
|California area codes: 209, 213, 310/424, 323, 408/669, 415, 442/760, 510, 530, 559, 562, 619, 626, 650, 657/714, 661, 707, 747/818, 805, 831, 858, 909, 916, 925, 949, 951|
|North: 442/760, 858|
|West: Pacific Ocean, 808||area code 619||East: 442/760|
|South: Country code +52 in Mexico|
|Hawaii area codes: 808|