Area codes 442 and 760
Area code 760 is a California telephone area code that was split from area code 619 on March 22, 1997. Area code 442 is an overlay of 760 that became effective on November 21, 2009. It encompass much of the southeastern and southernmost portions of the state. The area includes Imperial, Inyo, and Mono counties, as well as portions of San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Los Angeles and Kern counties.
Prior to November 5, 1982; this region had been part of area code 714. Area code 760 was created on March 22, 1997 which was part of 619. Within a decade, however, 760 was strained to the point that a new area code would be necessary to serve the area. It was decided that the 760 Area Code would split such that the portions of San Diego and Imperial Counties currently served by 760 would change to a new 442 Area Code. However, amid an outpouring of protests from affected residents and businesses, the CPUC decided that 442 would be added as an overlay to 760. Starting October 24, 2009, 760 area code users are required to dial 1 plus the area code when dialing local numbers, except cell phone users, for whom only the area code and seven digit number is needed.
Areas within this area code which had manual service in history include:
- Death Valley Junction (Inyo County)
- Kelso (San Bernardino County)
- Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley (Inyo County)
Rate centers located in area code 760:
- Andrade, Bombay Beach, Brawley, Calexico, Calipatria, Desert Shores, El Centro, Heber, Holtville, Imperial, Mount Signal, Niland, Ocotillo, Ogilby, Palo Verde, Plaster City, Salton City, Salton Sea Beach, Seeley, Westmorland, Winterhaven
- Ballarat, Big Pine, Bishop, Cartago, Darwin, Death Valley Junction, Dixon Lane-Meadow Creek, Furnace Creek, Homewood Canyon-Valley Wells, Independence, Keeler, Laws, Lone Pine, Mesa, Olancha, Panamint Springs, Pearsonville, Round Valley, Shoshone, Tecopa, West Bishop, Wilkerson
- Bodfish, Boron, California City, Cantil, China Lake Acres, Inyokern, Johannesburg, Kernville, Lake Isabella, Mountain Mesa, Onyx, Porterville, Randsburg, Ridgecrest, South Lake, Squirrel Mountain Valley, Weldon, Wofford Heights
- Bermuda Dunes, Blythe, Cathedral City, Chiriaco Summit, Coachella, Desert Center, Desert Hot Springs, Eagle Mountain, East Blythe, Indian Wells, Indio, La Quinta, Lost Lake, Mecca, North Shore, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Ripley, River Bend Lodge, Sun City Palm Desert, Thermal, Thousand Palms, White Water
- Adelanto, Amboy, Angelus Oaks, Apple Valley, Bagdad, Baker, Barstow, Big River, Blue Jay, Bluewater, Cadiz, Calico, Chambless, Cima, Daggett, Devore (North San Bernardino), Earp, Essex, Fort Irwin, Goffs, Green Valley Lake, Halloran Springs, Helendale, Hesperia, Hinkley, Joshua Tree, Kelso, Landers, Lenwood, Lucerne Valley, Ludlow, Twentynine Palms Marine Base, Morongo Valley, Mountain View Acres, Nebo Center, Needles, Newberry Springs, Nipton, Oro Grande, Phelan, Pinon Hills, Pioneertown, Rice, Running Springs, Siberia, Sunfair Heights, Sunfair, Searles Valley, Trona, Twentynine Palms, Victorville, Vidal Junction, Vidal, Wrightwood, Yermo, Yucca Valley, Zzyzx
- Bonsall, Borrego Springs, Camp Pendleton North, Camp Pendleton South, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Escondido, Fallbrook, Hidden Meadows, Julian, Lake San Marcos, Oceanside, Ocotillo Wells, Pala, Rainbow, Ramona, San Marcos, Santa Ysabel, Valley Center, Vista
- "Rob Pegoraro - Google continues its assault on the price of a phone call". Washingtonpost.com. August 29, 2010. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- Report on the 760 Area Code by the California Public Utilities Commission, Telecommunications Division (warning: this link leads to a large PDF file)
|California area codes: 209, 213, 310/424, 323, 408/669, 415, 442/760, 510, 530, 559, 562, 619, 626, 650, 657/714, 661, 707, 747/818, 805, 831, 858, 909, 916, 925, 949, 951|
|North: 530, 702, 775|
|West: 209, 559, 619, 626, 661, 808, 858, 909, 951, 949||area code 442/760||East: 928|
|South: 619, 858, Country code +52 in Mexico|
|Arizona area codes: 480, 520, 602, 623, 928|
|Nevada area codes: 702, 775|
|Hawaii area codes: 808|