||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
Immediately after his commencement, McComb took at a job at TSR, Inc., where he produced numerous role-playing game supplements and magazine articles relating to those games. He won an Origins Award for Best Game Adventure in 1993 for Dragon Mountain, and another for New Role-Playing Supplement for the Birthright Campaign Setting in 1995. He is primarily known for his work on the Planescape line, for which he and Monte Cook were the primary designers after the departure of David "Zeb" Cook from TSR.
In 1996, McComb left TSR to take a job at Interplay Entertainment's roleplaying division, later called Black Isle Studios. While there, he had a small role in the design of Fallout 2 and a far more significant role in the design of Planescape: Torment.
In addition to his gaming work, McComb contributed interviews, album reviews, and concert reviews to the underground magazine Outburn. In 2004, he reunited with his Planescape cohorts in the Malhavoc Press book, Beyond Countless Doorways, which received an Honorable Mention for Best Writing at the 2005 ENnie Awards. He and his wife also designed and wrote the manual for the MMORPG RYL in 2005.
- Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
- The Complete Book of Elves
- Dragon Mountain
- Amazing Engine
- The Galactos Barrier
- Bughunter (additional design)
- Dark Sun
- The Complete Gladiators' Handbook
- Taladas: The Minotaurs
- Knight's Sword
- Tales of the Lance
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Thunder Rift
Black Isle Studios
- Fitz (July 2, 2010). "RPG Book Review: The Kobold Guide to Game Design - Volume III: Tools & Techniques by Wolfgang Baur, Monte Cook, Ed Greenwood, Rob Heinsoo, and Colin McComb". Blogcritics.org Gaming.
- "No Really, Planescape Could Come Back". Geekosystem. February 11, 2013.
- (March 27, 2013). "Free rein to design games", The New Indian Express.
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. p. 29. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- Colin McComb's official website
- MobyGames entry for Colin McComb
- Pen & Paper RPG Database Bibliography for Colin McComb
- A Talk with Colin McComb
- Tales of Torment, Part 1 — an interview in two parts with Chris Avellone and Colin McComb
- Tales of Torment, Part 2 — an interview in two parts with Chris Avellone and Colin McComb