Tube of Crest
|Owner||Procter & Gamble|
Crest is a brand of toothpaste made by Procter & Gamble in Germany and in the United States and sold worldwide. In many countries in Europe, such as Germany, Bulgaria, Serbia, Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Hungary, Latvia and Romania, it is sold as Blend-A-Med, the name of an established German toothpaste acquired by P&G in 1987 (formerly Blendax GmbH, located in Mainz, Germany). In France, Sweden, Belgium, the Netherlands, Brazil, the UK, Ireland, Nigeria and Colombia, P&G markets similar formulations under the Oral-B brand.
Crest was introduced in the United States in 1955. At first it used stannous fluoride, marketed as "Fluoristan" (this was also the original brand name it was sold under—it was later changed from "Fluoristan" to "Crest with Fluoristan"). The composition of the toothpaste had been developed by Drs. Muhler, Harry Day, and William H. Nebergall at Indiana University, and was patented by Nebergall. Procter & Gamble paid royalties from use of the patent and thus financed a new dental research institute at this university ("The House that Crest built"). The active ingredient of Crest was changed in 1981 to sodium monofluorophosphate, or "Fluoristat". Today Crest toothpastes use sodium fluoride, or "Dentifrice with Fluoristat"; Crest Pro-Health, recently introduced to the market, uses stannous fluoride again and an abrasive whitener together called "Polyfluorite". Crest is accepted by the American Dental Association (ADA) as well as by equivalent dental associations in other countries.
The Crest brand has also been associated with about twenty brands of dental care products, including toothpaste, toothbrushes, mouthwash, dental floss, as well as a tooth-whitening product called Crest Whitestrips. Examples of toothpastes include Crest Pro Health, Crest 3D White, Crest Tartar Protection, Crest Whitening and Scope flavored toothpaste. From 2004 to 2010, Crest sold dental floss under the Crest Glide brand, which is now called Oral-B Glide. The original Crest logo was designed by Donald Deskey.
- Fact Sheet Oral-B Pro Expert
- Harry G. Day: Development of Chemistry at Indiana University in Bloomington 1829–1991, Bloomington 1992, pp. 355, 463–71
- Davis Dyer et al.: Rising tide. Lessons from 165 years of brand building at Procter & Gamble, Procter & Gamble Co. 2004
- Indiana University homepage Accessed Jan. 31, 2009
- Davis, Dyer et al (May 1, 2004). "Rising Tide: Lessons from 165 Years of Brand Building at Procter and Gamble". Harvard Business Press. p. 280. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "Crest Dental Hygiene Products Including Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Mouthwash and Teeth Whitening". Crest.com. 2011-06-12. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- Product details and history of Crest toothpaste—from its manufacturer, Procter & Gamble, via the Wayback Machine
- Birth of an Icon: CREST—P&G's current history page
- Brand homepage